FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PHP Question

Author Topic: PHP Question
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to use the css trick for drop shadows where you have a really large drop shadow file that you use to backdrop an image. The list apart method.

I am using drupal/php for this. The problem is that when I try to create a div element around the picture, the div takes up a lot more space than the image does. When I change the div element to a span element, just the image is chosen, but that's no good as span =/ div.

Ideas?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you float the div as it says in the article?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

*blushes shamefacedly*

Thanks!

After doing that, however, while it works, I need the picture itself with the drop shadow to be in the center of the element.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Depending on the exact nature of the centering, you should be able to get this with YAD (Yet Another Div) wrapping the inner div, setting the left position of the outer div to where you want it, or you might be able to put a position:relative on the floating div and tweak it into the location you want.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

God bless you, fugu13.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. My name is Kwea.

Welcome to Earth.

I feel like I should enter this into babelfish or something. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

I appreciate that this is all somewhat jargon-ish, so probably shouldn't post here. On the other hand, it's so convienent and I keep getting great feedback from tech guru fugu. I hope I'm not confusing the non-techies too much [Wink] .
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just kidding. I think that Hatrack is cool for a lot of reasons, but one of them is because whenever I have a question I can ask it here and almost always get a response, even if the subject matter is geeky, or obscure.

[Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

And I'm happy when I can say the phrase tech guru fugu ^^
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I got all excited to see a PHP question thread, but fugu beat me here. [Frown]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

If you want I could make another one. Not because I'm clueless, but just for your benefit. Right. [Wink]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Eros: I'm pretty sure that fugu beats everyone to PHP threads. [Smile] Heck, I'm half-convinced he's set up something to scrape the site for any mention of "Perl" or "PHP." *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

If I had something set up to scrape for mentions of "Perl" it would also automatically post "Switch to Python."
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, python's ok, but its dependence on indentation relegates it to a curiosity at best. Haven't we learned anything since make(1)? [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Curiousity at best? It is frequently one of the three main languages for major software shops (such as Google, to pick one at random [Wink] ), and there are numerous startups built on it. Major parts of the infrastructure applications in several Linux distributions are written in it.

And of course, you should be writing code with pretty much exactly the indentation python enforces; that your code has all the extra stuff only makes it less readable.

Except for very rare issues with copying and pasting code (which should be avoided anyways), indentation is never a problem. Even that usually isn't an issue, as most copy/pastes do something that works or are obviously messed up (and thus quickly fixed by selecting it all and adjusting the tab level in or out a level, as needed).

I'm going to assume you were joking [Razz]

edit: oh, and for at least a while (and I think still), by far most traffic on the internet was (is?) generated by python applications. You may have heard of bittorrent?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.