FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A magic trick for you.

Author Topic: A magic trick for you.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
So a month ago I started working for a magic company.

Its fun. I learn new magic almost every day.

To celebrate I'll perform one of my new tricks for you right here on the computer.

Pick an number. Any whole number will do. (No fractions, decimals, negative numbers please. Infinity is right out. EDIT Mucus pointed out, my mind reading doesn't work on an empty head, so 0 is not an option either.)

Multiply that number by 9.

If the number is multiple digits, like 42 add the digits together so you would get 4+2= 6. If the result of that addition is a number that has multiple digits, add those digits together. Continue until you are down to a single digit number.

Subtract 5 from that number.

Now lets turn that number into a letter using the following code. a=1, b=2, c=3 etc. etc.

Now, think of a State in the United States or Country on Earth that begins with that letter. (No states of Denial, or States of Confusion please)

Lets pick the second letter in that State or Country.

Think of an animal that starts with that letter.

Got it?

Well, there are no Gray Elephants in either Denmark or Delaware.

[ November 15, 2007, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you have a fun job.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the letter for -5?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

d
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What about Otters in Dominican Republic?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I'm sorry. that countries name is "The Dominican Republic". It starts with a T.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
If d is the code for -5, what is the code for 0?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

1, but you really should get neither a negative number nor a 0.

Unless.

Rats!

I didn't put in a rule that the number must not be 0.

Since 0 is no nothing. Oh well, live and learn.

Otherwise, 0=O, just because it looks cool.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good trick when presented right, but this one kinda got fumbled. [Wink]

It also doesn't help that the animal I thought of was elepaio.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
but there are Jaguars in Djibouti
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is... Is THIS your card? [Cool]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
but there are Jaguars in Djibouti

That's what I was thinking.

edit to add- to be fair, I was actually thinking do jaguars live in Djibouti, I need to look that up and then I thought other then the Dj, how do you spell djibouti?

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

Is that sorta like an eliphino?
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Elephants from the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Edit: I guess that's another "the" situation. Damned articles.

[ November 15, 2007, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Fusiachi ]

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Emu is an obvious animal here. But it should be pretty good. I'm afraid I skipped to the end and then had to infer what happens, but it's quite clever. Other than the little problems with the Emus.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Unicorns in Dubai? (I know, I know...unicorns aren't real animals)
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are your real U animals, courtesy of the San Diego Zoo website:

quote:
U

Uakari: a South American monkey.
Umbrella bird: insect-eating birds similar to flycatchers, native to Central and South America.
Underwater frog: also called an African clawed frog.
Urial: a type of sheep.
Urutu: a tropical forest snake native to Central and South America.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I knew that you guys would have as much fun tearing this thing apart as I had trying to make it un-tear-apart-able.

So go ride your Unicorns in Dubai.

I'll keep it limited to States.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
On an unrelated note, I almost got burned by a joke from one of my student's this year. It goes like this.

"How do you get an elephant to fit inside a Safeway bag?

Do you give up?

OK. You take the F out of 'safe' and the F out of 'way'.

Reticulum, my hat is off to you for that wonderful bon mot.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking District of Columbia, but I guess that doesn't really count... then I decided on Dakota, because I don't believe in sibling rivalry!
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
eel
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pegasus:
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

Is that sorta like an eliphino?
No clue what an eliphino is - googling gives me a hip hop musician and some other random junk - but the elepaio is a bird. Wiki
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I figured this one out as soon as I read it. Anything multiplied by 9, when you add the digits together, will equal 9. That's one of the things that I learned when I learned my multiplication tables. Still, that's a good one Dan.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY Delaware!, i bet im the only hatracker from that lil' state
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.