FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Clothing made by battered women

Author Topic: Clothing made by battered women
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a place where I could buy an article of clothing made by a battered woman. Anyone know of any online/real life places to so?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhhh, why?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Supplementary research for a business-class presentation.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I had never heard of Battered Woman's Syndrome before.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Nor had I. Google isn't helping me too much [Frown] .
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, I doubt you will find much being done along these lines, because sewing clothing that others will buy requires training. Training to cut, training on using sewing machines -- and it isn't that women in shelters can't be trained, but it is almost by definition a transient population that initially comes in the midst of crisis. The first few weeks are not going to be good for training more advanced skills, and most places have such a backlog that they don't keep women for long periods of time.

Fundraisers tend to be things that can be participated in by the community (e.g., gala events, art shows) and/or can be participated in with minimal training (e.g., walk-a-thons).

You will find skills training for longer-term employment in some places, but I expect that the most stable and cost efficient training will be for secretarial work. Those skills are highly transferable, have low overhead to train, and (unlike garment manufacture) minimal associated injuries -- which is necessary to keep insurance costs down.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
The cynical and snide part of my mind thinks that any of a number of pieces of clothing from any of a number of third-world sweatshops would fit the description, but I rather get the impression you were more hoping for something made by someone whose work was helping them out of such a situation.

My church sells weavings done by single/widowed mothers in Africa, but they're more like wall hangings than clothing.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Ooh, Sterling, is there any chance you could send me a photo of one of those?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure battered is the best term but Sari Silk yarn produced in India is made to help get women who spin it on their feet. Do some googling for Sari Silk Yarn.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* for a second there I was trying to picture how they would spin silk on their feet.

CT's right. We usually do envelope stuffing or desktop publishing or adding labels to printed materials that were printed wrong but still need to be used.

I don't think we want to create a market for clothing produced by formerly battered women. What if it became popular? Someone would have to batter more women to get production up.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - there is someplace here in town that does that - the women use old jeans to make new stuff.

Let me see if I can find the link to the article I read about it.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Horse:
I don't think we want to create a market for clothing produced by formerly battered women. What if it became popular? Someone would have to batter more women to get production up.

Yeah! We could have like big burly guards with whips and chains goading the production line to make them go faster! Then if they gave any lip, the guards could bash them around a bit. In fact, we could hire the women's ex-husbands and ex-bfs to be the guards! What a great idea! O:-)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:

Well, there is the small matter of my being in New Zealand right now, but I'll send off an e-mail and see what I can do.

[Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think if one is going to involve women in shelters with occupational therapy, something better paying would be a good idea. Though I guess if they were doing it for recreational therapy, that might be an idea. I don't know how many women see sewing as recreational anymore. Yarn crafts, maybe.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Horse:

Yeah! We could have like big burly guards with whips and chains goading the production line to make them go faster! Then if they gave any lip, the guards could bash them around a bit. In fact, we could hire the women's ex-husbands and ex-bfs to be the guards! What a great idea! O:-)
Exactly! Provide jobs for the whole family!

And deadhorse, i was right there with you imagining women laying down with their feet on looms making silk.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow. I had never heard of Battered Woman's Syndrome before.
I have some experience employing persons with actual Battered Wife Syndrom. The lack of self confidence that is exibited often prevents the person from even seeking or accepting an opportunity to succeed. A sheltered workshop, at least until they can recieve some help with those issues, is needed. It's not a question of sanctuary, there is a real need for professional psychological intervention.

[ November 05, 2007, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Artemisia Tridentata ]

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:

Some of the things that were on exhibit at our church can be seen at Zimbabwe Artists Project. (The church secretary was kind enough to send me the link.)
Phanto
Member # 5897

Great, thanks, Sterling!
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dharma Trading, where I get my dyeables and supplies for my garment painting and dyeing, has a cooperative with families in Bolivia to buy items made by women.

I don't think they're battered women, per se, but they are underprivleged families trying to make a living.

Here's the info on their program:

Dharma trading

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I should have thought of Dharma Trading when I mentioned sari silk. Same ideas. My spinners and weaver's guild is also doing a show for Guatemalan weavers, where we sell their stuff then send all of the proceeds back to them.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
The WorldCraftsVillage catalog advertises (pg 13) pillowcases "Embroidered by East Indian women recovering from abuse and cultural discrimination, these
leaf and berry–patterned pillowcases are
a colorful symbol of the hope this work
brings to underprivileged women.
"

Don't know if that counts for your project...

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think IKEA had pillows embroidered by single and otherwise needy Indian women last time I was down in their Marketplace floor...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.