FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bee Movie

Author Topic: Bee Movie
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
After the utter wretchedness of Shrek 3, it was not a given that I'd see Bee Movie.

Still, I'm a diehard Jerry Seinfeld fan. Have been ever since the pilot episode of his old show. I just like his humor.

When work awarded me with two free movie tickets, I had an excuse to see it.

The good:

• If you like Seinfeld's humor, you'll enjoy a lot of the gags.
  • The design work for the Factory/Theme Park/Wonder City inside the hive is actually pretty cool. Beautiful animation during these sections of the film.
  • John Goodman's performance as the ultimate sleazy lawyer with a Southern twang. After all his perfomances in animation as a big lug with a heart of gold, it's nice to hear him stretch his talents.

The bad:

• The story is bizarre. Even for a cartoon, this story will drive viewers trying to make some sort of sense out of the plot...well...buggy.
  • Interspecies bee-human romance is touched upon. Delicately and not-so-delicately. It lead to a very weird dream sequence and some real eyebrow-raising lines.
  • There's already been a zillion CGI talking insect flicks...this one really doesn't have anything the others didn't.

Not a bad film. Far more clever and nice to look at than I was expecting. But I get the feeling Ratatouille will have nothing to worry about come Oscar time.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will take the kids to see it. Dreamworks always puts in questionable material and I like to preview the movies before I let the kids watch them. That's why I like Pixar more.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hmmm. According to Ron Rosenbaum, I'm innately evil and stupid for liking Jerry Seinfeld, and Bee Movie is in fact the ultimate tool to crush non-conformity. [Razz]

Wow. I'm an insidious, mindless cog for the forces of blandess! [Big Grin]

[ November 05, 2007, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy is referring to this article which complains about Seinfeld's 'blandness'.

Anyway, he compares Seinfeld with this other far less successful, far more obscene comic Shapiro using the mirrored characters in A Tale of Two Cities Charles Darnay and Sidney Carton in what is a wonderfully fundamentally flawed argument.

Also, such nuggets as this:

quote:
Instead I invite you to stare at a drawing of Jerry's bee "Barry B. Benson," and tell me that you don't eventually see Satan.
O.o
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone today at work described the movie in the following way (paraphrase):

"Bee Movie really shows what Seinfeld thinks of himself - when he stops working, the whole world shuts down."

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

And we all end up paying the terrible price. [Frown]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John Goodman's performance as the ultimate sleazy lawyer with a Southern twang. After all his perfomances in animation as a big lug with a heart of gold, it's nice to hear him stretch his talents.
Wasn't this pretty close to his character in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"O Brother, Where Art Tho" was animated? BEST MO-CAP EVER! [Big Grin]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I missed the "in animation" part. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Wow. I'm an insidious, mindless cog for the forces of blandess! [Big Grin]

Yes, but we already knew this because you hate fun movies. Why ya gotta hate fun, Mr. Treat? What did fun ever do to you?

[Razz]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Fun KILLED MY DOG, thankyewverymuch.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you sue?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it.
I give it a B.
I said I give it a B!
[ROFL]

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
I liked it.
I give it a B.
I said I give it a B!
[ROFL]

That would have been funny if the entire premise behind calling it, "Bee Movie" wasn't to make a play on that phrase. I'm not even kidding. According to Seinfeld he was eating dinner with Spielberg and jokingly pitched his idea about making a movie deliberately called, "B Movie" about bees. Spielberg made some calls without telling Seinfeld and Dreamworks called him up a few days later and offered to make the movie with him. He warmed to the idea and jumped on board.

This is all according to Seinfeld so take it how you will.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.