FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Thirteen: Architecture and Mortality

Author Topic: Doctor Thirteen: Architecture and Mortality
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
A comic about a skeptical paranormal investigator on a world infested with magic and ghosts.

His practicing witch daughter.

A fey vampire.

A flying pirate.

A facist gorilla.

A French-speaking caveman.

An alien girl from the future who can control diseases.

A haunted tank.

And a boy genius who can answer any question if you just give him a dime.

Is it any wonder why I love this graphic novel so much? [Big Grin]

Collecting the popular back-up strip into one volume, this is a gorgeously illustrated graphic novel. It also has one of the funniest, most pointed critiques of shared super-hero universes ever written. And yet, DC still published it. Go figure. [Smile]

I swear, I'd buy a Team Thirteen comic every month.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I should add it also has a very bitter, yet somehow intelligent and touching speech about the value of the Past versus always searching for 'The next big thing of the Future'.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Does this have anything to do with Doctor Who? Because the Doctor (and all other Time Lords) have thirteen lives total (though they may be dropping that fact in the new series).
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

No. [Smile]

Doctor Thirteen is an old DC Comics character from the 1950s, who's dragged out once in a blue moon when a "skeptic" character is needed.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
An alien girl from the future who can control diseases.

Infectious Lass can't really control diseases. Just cause them. That's how she ended up in the Substitute Legion.

I actually remember reading the issue when she tried out. God, I feel old.

I'm reading the Dr. Thirteen stuff right now. It's fantastic. But I'm not sure how good it would be for someone who doesn't know who all those characters are.

It reminds me a bit of Grant Miller's stint on Animal Man. Some people just can't leave a fourth wall alone.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Infectious Lass can't really control diseases. Just cause them. That's how she ended up in the Substitute Legion.

That was initially true, but by the latter half of the Levtiz run (and definitely during the "Five Years Later" stories) she had full control of the diseases she could bestow, as well as their effects. This remained true for the post-Zero Hour version of the character.

She's been (apparently) deleted completely by the Mark Waid/Barry Kitson re-Reboot, but in the Doctor Thirteen story has kept the full skills she learned in her earlier careers. [Smile]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
It reminds me a bit of Grant Miller's stint on Animal Man. Some people just can't leave a fourth wall alone.

The run by Frank Morrison was -so- much cooler.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

That was initially true, but by the latter half of the Levtiz run (and definitely during the "Five Years Later" stories) she had full control of the diseases she could bestow, as well as their effects. This remained true for the post-Zero Hour version of the character.
Post-Zero Hour? Gawd, I stopped reading the Legion after the whole Pocket Universe/Death of Superboy thing. And from what I've heard, I'm glad. I would have gotten whiplash.

Last night, I was watching JLU with Tova, and during the end credits, there was some LSH stuff. We only have 4 eps left in the last season, so I'm guessing they'll be in one of those.

But we saw Bouncing Boy, and I had to explain to her why a big ol' beach ball was in the Legion when people like Polar Boy, who had real powers, got stuck in with the Subs. Something I've never understood myself.

quote:
She's been (apparently) deleted completely by the Mark Waid/Barry Kitson re-Reboot, but in the Doctor Thirteen story has kept the full skills she learned in her earlier careers. [Smile]

Isn't it re-re-re-reboot?

And... they aren't really going to continue the Doctor Thirteen thing, are they? If they do, I'd love to see them go up against the real villain of the piece. The worst Architect of them all: Dan DiDio. <shudder>

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.