FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Attach macros to styles?

Author Topic: Attach macros to styles?
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm creating a template in Word, and I was trying to figure out how to attach macros to styles. It doesn't seem to be possible to attach a number of codes to styles in Word as it is in WordPerfect, but I'm hoping there actually is a way and I'm missing it.

I can make the macros and I can make the styles, but I want the user to be able to select a style for a paragragh and certain text appear, or, in one case, the document switch to landscape view from that point forward. Any ideas?

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Which version of Word?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 

My current work-around is to create a new menu and put the styles and the macros on the same menu. Users generally won't be able to tell which one it is.

This isn't perfect, though, because there will still be users who will want all of the actions available from the styles menu, like they are in WordPerfect.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you can do is have the macros change the style as well as do the other stuff. It doesn't entirely solve your problem, but it lets you have a single command perform everything at once.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. That's the approach I'd take. Write a macro that changes the style, then does everything else, and stick that macro on the toolbar.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Hmmm... [Frown] I think Word doesn't actually do what I want it to do. The approach described above is the one I'm taking right now. The problem is that there are about 25 original styles - too many to put in anything other than a list.

Oh well - I'm sure someone will whine, but as long as I'm not missing a way to put the macros in the Styles list, I can tell them that great new CRS menu is a "feature."

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You could make a macro for each style, even if it doesn't do anything else, then make a menu for all those macros. Menus can hold 25 items easily.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

You can list styles as well as macros on a menu, so that's what I'm doing. The user won't be able to tell if they've clicked a macro or a style. I think that works okay, although there will have to be some instructions/retraining involved, which makes people cranky and say nasty things about the technology office.

What I really want is for the user to be able to click the button that lists the styles in the right-hand panel, and all of the styles and macros appear in that list. [Frown] I don't think that's possible.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Weeeellll.....It IS possible. But you don't want to do it. For one thing, if your company's committed to Word now, you don't want to spend a lot of time training your users to not get used to Word's default behaviors. For another, you'd have to sink quite a lot of development time into what amounts to a very menial bit of hand-holding.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.