FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Iran Attacked Aussies First:

Author Topic: Iran Attacked Aussies First:
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Iranian naval forces in the Gulf tried to capture an Australian Navy boarding team but were vigorously repelled, the BBC has learned.

Don't mess with the Aussies.

I'm surprised that this wasn't and apparently isn't news. Iran is the major star of cynical manipulation for the last two years, and a weary America cares little.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Correction, the American media cares little.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. I'm an American, and I care little.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot. Go Australia!

Personally, I'm hoping we take a page from the Reagan play book and spend Iran into a revolution. The Green News Thread claims their oil fields are about dead so that's a help.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't so much dead as they are underdeveloped. They still have 10% of the world's oil, and 15% of the world's gas, but a lot of their wells aren't being maintained properly, and their refinery capacity is dipping as well. It's not that they are running out of oil, it's that they aren't spending their billions of oil earnings by reinvesting it in their economy, and that's going to bite them in the butt if they don't reverse the trend in the next decade.

Fortunately, China might come in to save the day by developing their oil fields for them, shouldering the costs and then getting exclusive rights to the spigot. That's bad for the US six ways from Sunday.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Better late then never,

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/22/aust.navy.iran.reut/index.html

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
What, and you care so much more, Nick?

Right.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.