FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » X-Men: First Class and Fables: The Good Prince

Author Topic: X-Men: First Class and Fables: The Good Prince
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
X-Men: First Class has done the impossible. It's a fun, well-written, new-reader friendly comic starring the X-Men.

(Marvel's last attempt to do such a book was anything but.)

Jeff Parker had to go back to the original premise and characters to do it, but he's found a way to tell X-Men stories that aren't bogged down by decades upon decades of baggage. Or ridiculously pretentious.

The latest issue features guest art by Kevin Knowlan, Mike Allred, Paul Smith...*sigh*. [Big Grin]

Meanwhile, over in Fables, things are getting quite intriguing. Not only is Flycatcher the only resident of Fabletown with a 100% clean record, but his best friends refuse to sully his innocence, no matter how great his desire for revenge.

The revelation of the Forsworn Knight's identity was both unexpected and a very nice touch.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to both recommendations. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read some of X-Men: First Class and I found it enjoyable. I haven't read any of Fables though. Nothing against it, but I'm just one of those people who likes to start from the beginning and I haven't had the opportunity to do that with Fables yet.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite comic people, Aaron Alexovitch, is going to be doing the art for one of the issues of Fables. I'm pretty psyched about that. I'm afraid Ill be lost though, because I haven't been reading it. I found the dialogue too dry for me to get past a few issues - but I've been meaning to pick it up and give it another chance just because it's been recommended like nuts to me. I might do a Fables binge just to get ready for Aaron's issue.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.