FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help needed remembering a traumatic historical event from the 80s

Author Topic: Help needed remembering a traumatic historical event from the 80s
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was a kid, probably around 5 or 6 I was watching Nightline or some other show.
They showed a man being hung, aparently he was a hostage or something, a soldier.
When and where did this happen?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It would help if we knew when you were five or six years old.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
In the 80s...duh!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The '80's.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I meant, like, a year.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_R._Higgins
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it was one of two years Jon Boy. Either when she was 5, or when she was 6.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
1984 or 1985, but I found out what it was. It was back in 1989 when I was 11 and staying with one of my grandmothers for the summer. I was tramatized for life by the image of Marine Lt. Col. William Higgins hanging.
It was deeply sad.

But what other events of 1984 would triggle PTSD on a Vietnam vet?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, I'm having trouble understanding what you are asking for.

Are you writing a story in which you reference a real-world event which might cause PTSD in one of the characters in your story (at that time)?

----

Edited to add:

If so, you could look at Wikipedia on 1984. Some notable events include:

-Michael Jackson catching his hair on fire (Jan 27)
-the capture of WF Buckley (Mar 16)
-burning at Six Flags (May 11)
-21 people killed by a gunman in a McDonald's (July 18)
-Hezbollah bombs the US Beirut embassy (Sept 20)
-Indira Ghandi is assasinated (Oct 31), and
-general issues/concerns raised by George Orwell's novel, 1984.

[ April 17, 2007, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yes. I figured the cold war would be enough to trigger some things. He stops taking his medicine and declines.
In a big way.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(see additions above)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

All that stuff can pile up on him! Excellent. When I write the full short story that comes from this novel to enter into a contest it will have good build up.
Thanks.

He probably would not care about MJ, being a nerdy Astronomer who has no clue about anything that isn't in the sky.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.