FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Second Dental Opinion or Not?

Author Topic: Second Dental Opinion or Not?
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I had dental work over a month ago. I initially went because I was having pain on the upper right side of my mouth. It turned out that even though I was brushing twice everyday, the fact that I wasn't flossing translated to several cavities, mostly in the in between spaces. So, about a month ago I had 3 fillings. I got the white filling material, rather than the silver.

Anyway, ever since then, that area of my mouth has been very sensitive, especially to cold. Even cool water will hurt. And it seems it may also be hurting further back than where I had the fillings, but it is hard to tell. Also, when flossing that area, the teeth feel like they're made of cheap plastic when the floss is pulled out between my teeth. And, the filling surfaces are slightly rough, more like a matte finish than a smooth finish. Last time I had a filling, I remember how incredibly smooth it was. The fact that this one is not bothers me.

I called the dentist and talked to one of the assistants, and she told me that what I'm experiencing is normal. Evidently, the sensitivity can last for a while, but it seems to me that it should be going away, but it's not. Sometimes, it's even MORE bothersome. Also, she said that it's normal for the filling not to be smooth for a while (like it will wear down on its own), but I pointed out that my last filling was super smooth *immediately.* She said they can polish it.

I have a few more fillings to be done, and they said they could smooth out my previous fillings at the same appointment. But my confidence in their work is shaken. I'm really considering getting a second opinion from the dentist pair that I used to see in this town (they were the ones who gave me the good filling years ago). I had to switch because I'm on different insurance now. I just don't know what to do, as my current dentist is really nice and did exceptionally pain-free work.

So, are my experiences normal? Is a second opinion in order? I would be asking the other dentist to tell me if quality work was done.

I'm really hesitant to put MORE of my teeth in this position.

Thanks!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I would get a second optinion. My wife went to one dentist and he said she needed eight fillings. Another said she only needed two.

What the two saw differently, I don't know, but she is doing fine with the two fillings.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can afford it (since your old dentist isn't on your insurance) I would at least get a second look from another dentist.

I also have the composite fillings (white ones) and my teeth ARE cold sensitive -- but it really should diminish after a time. And mine were smooth to begin with.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you answered your own question.

quote:
But my confidence in their work is shaken.
Anytime you no longer have confidence in the medical professionals treating you, get a new medical professional or at least a second opinion.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a dental question myself. At what point should you see a dentist if you have a tooth that hurts? It isn't very bad (hardly noticable at times), and I don't know if it is a cavity, but paying for a dentist can be expensive.

Mostly I want to know if you can take care of it yourself, or if a dentist is a MUST in this situation.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Seems pretty unanimous. I can afford it. My insurance will pay for much of the visit, but I'll have to pay at a higher percentage, and I think that's okay for this one time.

I guess I should get it done, then.

Thanks for your replies. [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Having a tooth that hurt was what prompted me to get off my rear and finally make my cleaning appointment.

I think you should go. I've seen what happens when you don't go (not me) and it's not fun.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a dental question...

How do you tell if a new dentist is a good one? I ask because I thought the people who did my first surgery were good...they seemed reputable and suchlike...but they did an awful job. Now I'm seeing a dentist across the street from my house for an appliance....I need some other stuff done, but I'm afraid to give them a bunch of money and end up with bad dental work. Is there anything in particular I can look for to tell who's a good dentist and who's not?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there anything in particular I can look for to tell who's a good dentist and who's not?
I just get personal references -- by that, I mean, I ask around to all my friends and co-workers, etc. and see who is their dentist and ask them what they like about them, etc. There are an amazing number of people who have dentists they DON'T like, yet continue to go to rather than try to find a new dentist.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I just had a really frustrating conversation with my insurance. I'm not sure that the guy even had any idea what I was talking about. He couldn't seem to understand that I wanted a second opinion on the work that was done, and kept on repeating that the insurance would only pay for work done on a surface once every 36 months. I tried to point out that I wasn't getting the work done again, and if it turned out that I needed it, wouldn't the insurance want to know that they paid for shoddy work done the first time and seek a refund so that they could pay for the second one?

And it didn't matter anyway. I just want a visual inspection of my mouth, and maybe my x-rays. I also had to tell him that this wasn't going to be one of my 2-a-year exams. I think I may bypass the insurance entirely and call the dentist to see how much a visit like that would be.

*sigh*

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I've just had exam + x-rays, it's run about $80.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Given the conversation you just had with the insurance, I'd set up the appointment and pay out of pocket, and then submit your receipts for reimbursement at the end of the year after you've had your second routine visit. You might also be able to get the office there to write up their invoice in a way that makes it clear this is NOT a routine cleaning.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.