FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » IF YOU HAVE/USE EARTH'S BEST BABY FOOD, READ THIS!

Author Topic: IF YOU HAVE/USE EARTH'S BEST BABY FOOD, READ THIS!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
FDA Warning and Recall
quote:
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to use certain jars of Earth’s Best Organic 2 Apple Peach Barley Wholesome Breakfast baby food because of the risk of contamination with Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium which can cause botulism, a life-threatening illness or death. Consumers are warned not to use the product even if it does not look or smell spoiled.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ikes! Luckily, the stuff is too expensive for us. My mom buys it occasionally but only the stage 1 one-food ones, when they're on sale AND she has a coupon. I'll forward this to her, though. Thanks for the warning.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I also buy the stage one (on sale, with coupon). The pureed veggies make great kugel. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I try not to buy organic stuff. Better living through chemistry, I say. Preservatives and antibiotics and other such things are there for a reason.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Ikes! Luckily, the stuff is too expensive for us.

LOL...right there with you. Also, luckily for me, my son decided he was too old for baby food at 9 months! [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I found this stuff on the shelf at the grocery store today. I am fairly sure that it was part of the affected batch (although I couldn't remember the exact numbers so I wasn't POSITIVE.)

I called over an employee, asked for the manager, gave them a jar of the product and asked them to check and make sure that the jars on the shelf were not part of the recall, and if they were, to remove them. They took it very seriously. I was pleased. (I have not had great customer service experiences at that Ralph's. But when you say "FDA recall for botulism", they get right on it, apparently.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good job, kq. [Smile]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Phew! You might have saved some lives there, ketchupqueen. Nice going.

Would a food's organic status make it more likely to contain botulism? I thought botulism tended to be due to improper sterilization before canning. Does the organic label prevent heat sterilization or washing in bleach solution?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If the botulism was introduced AFTER the product was heated but before it was sealed, I think that it the "ideal" time for contamination (from the botulism's point of view.) I am under the impression that even organic baby food is heated, etc. There have been other foods that have been contaminated with botulism, in the past, and I think they have to be contaminated under the same cirucumstances (after food is cool enough that it won't die, before it is sealed) to be dangerous, right?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Good work, kq.

In trying to piece through how botulism occurs, it is worth distinguishing between the organism, the spores of the organism, and the toxins produced by the organism. It is the botulinum toxin that causes the problem, and the organism produces the toxin when it is in an anaerobic environment over about 50 deg F. The spores are a longterm storage version of the organism, and they can survive far higher and lower temperatures than the organism.

Any food that is contaminated by the organism in the period of appropriate temperature could have rising levels of the botulinum toxin (and it only takes a bit). The period of cooling after sterilization would be an ideal time for this infection, and organic foods (at least, those with standard heat and pressure processing) wouldn't be any more likely than any other food to experience this, as far as I know.

However, if the sterilization process was not quite up to par, the organic food might well be more likely to have had botulinum spores that survived the (improper) sterilization process and thus were present and viable to start producing toxin afterward.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.