FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Contacts: Quick Query

Author Topic: Contacts: Quick Query
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
My glasses were broken today, and all I have left to see with, is a pair of disposable, old contacts which were perhaps used for 15-20 days (max is 20 days, and you take them in and out daily). They were in a case; one half was sealed properly, the other was half-sealed, and half full.

If I wear them for the next few days, will mine eyes be safe?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Your eyes will rot and fall out.

Actually, I have no idea.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

my eyes will fall out and rot? *cries*

Seriously, though ^_^...

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use contacts but stick with my glasses, so I have no experience with your problem. However, contacts are kept in some bacteria killing liquid, right? I imagine you'll be alright if they have been kept covered in that or if you otherwise disinfect them thoroughly before using them. And if you start feeling the urge to scratch your eyes out, you'll want to consider restricting yourself to removing the contacts.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Having really extended the days I've worn my contacts, if I were in your situation, I'd pop them in my eyes and try them out. If I felt any stinging or irritation, I'd take them out and write them off as a loss.

Also, if they were blurry, or there were rings around lights at night, I'd also toss them.

Otherwise, if they aren't irritating your eyes, and you can see fine in them, I'd say they were still okay.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember what you are messing with. This is your sight we are talking about. Here's an alternative: call your eye doctor and ask for samples. Explain your situation and they may take sympathy on you.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

I've got an appointment for Monday; I *must* see tommorow to get some work done before the end of the semester, so I am going to pray that it works out OK.

There is no stinging or anything, so I'm being optimistic.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd just try 'em out. For me, the biggest issue with wearing my disposable contacts longer than I'm supposed to has been dryness or a flimsy kind of feeling from the lens. If they're intact and not scratching your eye, you should be okay.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
The contacts, and your eyes, should be perfectly fine if the saline did not evaporate leaving the contact dried.
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, even if it left the contact dry, you can pour in the saline and let the contact rehydrate. I've done that, and then wore the contacts after. They were perfectly fine. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Blind yet?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. But the cataracts are starting to cause more problems. Thanks for asking! [Smile] [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.