FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Right Ahead or The Book of Bernard

Author Topic: Right Ahead or The Book of Bernard
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
First, let me warn you what I have here.

I had an idea for a book. I get these ideas and can't quit on them until I work out the major plot and characters etc. Since Hatrack planted the seed for this plot, here is where I'll throw it out and seek some answers to fill in holes.

Warning: Some may find this story offensive. It is not a secular attack on Christianity. It is a direct attack on the mythos and creators of the "Left Behind" series and similar very narrow definitions of Christianity.

Here is a basic synopsis of the story.

Bernard Christianson was a good Christian and Archeologist (trying to prove Biblical Literalism through the system) when the Rapture comes. He is lifted to heaven where he watched the wicked and the un-Christian be destroyed in the "Tribulations".

There were some of his good friends, who were really good people, but who never accepted Jesus Christ into their lives, or did so incorrectly, that died horribly.

But that is all behind him.

Jesus has returned to earth, and so have those he's saved. The glorious reign of Jesus, King of Kings, has begun.

The story opens with Bernard overseeing the obliteration of Stonehenge. Such blasphemous sites are to be removed forever from the face of God's good earth.

Yet Bernard is not happy. The Utopia of a literal return of Jesus as King of Kings, out of Jerusalem, is not everything Bernard dreamt it would be.

There is no death, no aging, no need to work by the sweat of your brow, for manna from heaven feeds the faithful.

So what do you do?

You can sit and contemplate Jesus, and learn all there is to know of him, but Jesus is but one being, and there is a world full of people to crowd around him.

Where do we go from here? What are we to do for eternity?

Games, entertainment, music are all biblical in nature. How many times can you see reworks of the Passion of the Christ?

Does Freewill still exist?

Nations still exist, for it says that nations will bow down to Jesus, but what is a nation in a world where divinity insures all the big questions are answered correctly.

Even a co-worker, a southern Baptist who was most vocal in his faith, is a bit unfulfilled. His favorite Rebel Yell is looked on as a minor transgression, for Rebelion was the cause of all Evil.

Given the calling to go to Mt Rushmore and remove the humanist taint on its side, Bernard travels east instead, searching for some answer to the nagging doubts that appear more and more often.

What is the import of giving your coat to those without when everyone has one and its never too cold?

What of those who found themselves most Christ-like by battling Satan, when Satan has lost completely?

He decides to make a pilgrimage to Eden. Along the way he meets others, including Jesus. Questions are asked and answered.

When he reaches Eden he discovers that the forbidden tree is still there, or perhaps another also forbidden. Other, perfect, contented Christians are touring the gardens. Their immortal post ascension children are prefect and untainted. A few others, whom Bernard has met on his tavels, are there to tempt Bernard. One old professor takes on the role of the snake, scared to eat the forbidden fruit himself, he convinces Bernard to do so.

Jesus appears, but does not hinder Bernard. While later witnesses claim that Jesus cried at Bernard's sin, Bernard swore he smiled.

The good people immediatly were infuriated and chased Bernard and his associates from the Garden (one even picking up Micheal's flaming sword which was on display). But they do not capture or kill Bernard.

Bernard and his people flee. God judges them as he judged Adam. They must work and endure pain and suffer. Yet this is the curse that Bernard and his people were looking for. They age and strive and die and the story of Man continues.

What this story is about is that the literal translation of revelations will give us a wonderous world of physical perfection. But mental and spiritual growth will be nonexistant. A good Christian is one who beleives in Christ as the Savior. But a great Christian is one who also wants to learn what Christ has to teach.

Now, please tell me how wrong I am about life after Christ returns to earth. I admit my ignorance. The post rapture timeline is a bit vague in many scholars minds. It is a big unknown in mine.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Why "Bernard"?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much to add at this point, except to say that I think this would be a very interesting story.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard. I wanted a name begining with B for symbolic reasons, and Boris was just too "Rocky and Bullwinkle"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
He could be called Dean Maw which is an anagram for "New Adam" [Wink]

Dan: might I submit that after the rapture people MIGHT be spending their time finding out all the answers to those questions that were hitherto unanswered. Not to mention probing far deeper into some of the sciences then we ever could have.

One tenet of Mormonism that you might not find elsewhere is that all children who died before they reached an age of accountability will be returned to the earth to live out their lives. It might be an interesting dynamic to describe how such a life might be.

Also do not forget that at the end of the 1000 years following the 2nd coming, Satan is released once again to cause chaos among mankind and surprisingly he will have followers who reject paradise. Afterwards comes the final judgment where everyone is sent to heaven, hell, or elsewhere.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What this story is about is that the literal translation of revelations will give us a wonderous world of physical perfection. But mental and spiritual growth will be nonexistant.
Mmm...not within Mormonism's understanding. Mormonism has the concept of eternal progression, where we continue to participate with God in the creation of new life, new realities, etc...

I'd wager that most Christians don't feel that mental and spiritual growth will be lacking in the next life, either.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I may not be the right person to ask because I don't think that Revelations is to be taken literaly either (I know how shocked you all must be) but it sounds like an interesting book. rather reminds me of Heinlein's Job . I like the name Bernard. It might be fun to see if there is any symbolic tie-in to St. Bernard - or if there would be with another "B" named saint.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I like the name Bernard. It might be fun to see if there is any symbolic tie-in to St. Bernard - or if there would be with another "B" named saint.

This is what I was thinking. I'm a fan of St. Bernard, though.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There's Biff. And Brad.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.