FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Uninterupted Power Supply

Author Topic: Uninterupted Power Supply
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had power dips which caused me to lose my work three times this morning.

I've never dealt with an UPS before. What should I look for?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm... brown outs.
We used to have this problem at college in the older dorms. There is a battery pack you can buy for the computer that comes on the instant of the brown out. Most also sound a little buzzer to let you know when they are supplying the power. They can't supply power for very long, but if the brown out seems to be a long one or is actually a black out you have time to save your work. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Typically they're sized by the length of time you think you'll need them to provide power for you. In your case, I think 15 minutes should be plenty (you're trying to just keep things running during temporary outages?).

Try this link. APC makes good stuff, and they'll size it for you better and faster than I could.

Edit: I'd also look for one that features power conditioning, especially if what you're describing is a common occurence.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about them, myself - I had network engineers to pick them for me.

You need to decide what you want out of it: a chance to shut down and surviving brownouts, or a chance to work for a small amount of time (30 minutes to an hour).

You might want to get one that will power your router as well, assuming you have broadband. That way you won't lose connectivity. Depending on what I'm doing, losing internet connection can lead to 30-second to 2-minute hangups - not something I want happening when I want to shut down.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you want power conditioning or AVR on it. That is what fixes the 'not quite out but enough to lock my system' power issues, which also cuts down the wear and tear on the UPS itself. A cheap UPS has to switch back and forth to battery everytime you have even a minor power event.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Technical details aside, you should be in the ballpark of $150. If you're paying more than that, you're likely paying for features you really don't need.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. I don't know if you have a membership to any of the big Sam's Club type stores, but they usually have the APC RS/XS series fairly cheap.

I supported APC and other UPS mfrs for several years, if anything else comes up, let me know. [Smile]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.