FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ethics Committee: Plenty of negligence, but no rules broken in Foley matter

Author Topic: Ethics Committee: Plenty of negligence, but no rules broken in Foley matter
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
The story is just beginning to spread on the wires, but the Houston Chronicle article is available here.

There are two important findings. No rules broken by Republican leaders, but a pattern of negligence in protecting teens. For some reason, the majority of news stories so far only stress one of the findings in the headline, so it's either:

Ethics panel: Republicans were negligent

or...

Ethics panel: Republicans didn't break any rules.

*sigh*

quote:
The panel said it found no evidence that any current lawmakers or aides violated any rules. But it said it discovered a pattern of conduct among many "to remain willfully ignorant of the potential consequences" of Foley's sexually explicit computer messages.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you on the *sigh*

Let the spin begin [Frown]

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, a quick glance at the major news outlets shows that every single one has both "negligence" and "no rules broken" in either the headline or the sub-headline. Not quite as objective as managing to squeeze both into a headline, but all things considered, it's not that bad, spin-wise.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Try news.google.com [Smile]

Leaders failed to protect teenage pages-CNN
Foley Panel Says GOP Negligent of Teens -ABC News
Foley panel: GOP didn‘t protect pages -Hinesberg
House panel: GOP leaders broke no rules in Foley case: AP- Marketwatch
House panel finds Republicans negligent in scandal -Reuters
Foley panel says Republicans broke no rules -CTV

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Not on my google news search. Here's what I get:

quote:

Foley panel: GOP didn't protect pages
Houston Chronicle, United States - 34 minutes ago
By LARRY MARGASAK AP Writer. © 2006 AP. WASHINGTON — The House ethics committee reported Friday that Republican lawmakers and aides ...

House panel: GOP leaders broke no rules in Foley case: AP
MarketWatch - 1 hour ago
By Gabriel Madway. SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- The House ethics committee has concluded that Republican leaders did not break ...

House panel finds Republicans negligent in scandal
Reuters - 1 hour ago
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A House ethics panel concluded that Republicans failed to adequately respond to early warnings about a lawmaker blamed for the Internet ...

Foley Panel Says GOP Negligent of Teens
Forbes, NY - 1 hour ago
By LARRY MARGASAK 12.08.06, 1:49 PM ET. The House ethics committee has concluded that Republican leaders did not break any rules in handling ex-Rep. ...

That's just the top few so far. (and the houston chronicle headline on google matches the one on the news page) Hopefully, the headlines will get better.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite sure what you're wishing they would say. I guess your thread title shows it. Are you upset that the headlines are going for one or the other?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Yeah, that's really it. A headline that says "Republicans didn't break any rules" in this context really misrepresents the story. Similarly, a headline that says only "Republicans were negligent" leaves out important context.

I'm no fan of Denny Hastert - no fan of Congress, really. (The "I didn't break any rules but danced as close to edge as I could" is typical of Hastert and too many elected officials, IMO)

I am a fan of accurate reporting - and part of accurate reporting is putting out a headline that actually *summarizes* a story. Some news sources have have done that. It would be nice to see the others follow suit.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Upset may be a bit strong of a word, but the topic sentence has two parts to it. One seems to fault Republicans for the Foley affair, the other seems to clear them. Neither one is entirely accurate. Different news outlets have grabbed one or the other, which immediately influences the mindset one way or another in the person who reads the article. This mindset will play a large part in how they interpret and remember the rest of the article.

Edit: I'll let you (sndrake) field the questions, since we just keep cross posting and basically repeating each other [Smile]

sndrake
Member # 4941

BQT,

Yeah, but neither of us answers in exactly the same way.

And, frankly, your last answer really nailed the issue of misleading headlines - in a way I hadn't managed to. [Smile]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, just to make the objectivity comparisons fair, name your headline.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Statutory rape in congress still being blamed on party leadership"

I know page sexual coercion was happening in the 80's, but I don't recall many details.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Try news.google.com [Smile]

Leaders failed to protect teenage pages-CNN
Foley Panel Says GOP Negligent of Teens -ABC News
Foley panel: GOP didn‘t protect pages -Hinesberg
House panel: GOP leaders broke no rules in Foley case: AP- Marketwatch
House panel finds Republicans negligent in scandal -Reuters
Foley panel says Republicans broke no rules -CTV

Like I said, in each case, you get the full picture if you actually go to the news site itself and see both headline and sub-headline. Again, this isn't to say that there is no bias, because I think we all agree that the difference between headline and sub-headline, at least in the minds of your average news reader, is vast. But it's hardly the worst case of spin out there.

Now, once the assembled punditry gets ahold of this story, then the feces will really impact the rotary blade.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Never mind my headline. I'll go with the one that USA Today is running:

House ethics committee: GOP leaders negligent, but didn't break rules in Foley scandal

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's a good headline.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.