FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This years Charity Project??

Author Topic: This years Charity Project??
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that last year we donated to the Heifer Project, but I was just wondering if we're doing anything this year. I'd be happy to contribute.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
'Beer for Bachelors'

Won't you please help?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*mails in a bachelor*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

[Laugh]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd like to propose donations to Children's Hospital.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
*mails in a beer*.

When do I get my bachelor?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

What's the one that gives loans to womens in third world countries to start their own business?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

KarlEd gets a [ROFL] , too.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, if you're talking about Children's Hospital in St. Paul, MN, I'm in. But I think you might find that most people aren't thrilled about sending donations to a US hospital that isn't in their own community.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
What about St Jude's? They help kids regardless of their ability to pay, and through their research help fight children's cancers across the globe.

That's the only children's hospital you're likely to get widespread support for, because ElJay is right - if it's not something like that, I would rather just send my money to my local Children's Hospital.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, we could just donate to some other charity that helps children in general? United way for instance, or Unicef. There is also Children.org.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the old fave, First Book, because it seems appropriate to an author's website.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like First Book or Heifer International - it's not location specific and it's focused.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the old fave, First Book, because it seems appropriate to an author's website.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
And we do like to repeat ourselves here.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

It bears repeating.

(actually, I have no clue how that happened)

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't donate to United Way, personally, because I think too much of your donation goes to administration. I like First Book and Heifer. Have we ever considered Child's Play? The mission is to send toys and games to kids in the hospital, and you can choose directly what hospital to send to, from many in the US and Canada and a few in the UK and Australia. It was started by the Penny Arcade guys, and seems a great charity for a bunch of geeks to donate to. There wouldn't be a local hospital for everyone, though.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know about Heifer until we donated to it last year. Having looked at their website and seen what they do, I fully support another donation to them.

Is Rabbit interested in organizing again this year? She has done such a fantastic job in the past.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am up for organizing again if we have an interested group.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the Heifer one last year. I didn't get to participate in the First Book one. Though, I have read up a bit on it. Either one is fine with me.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge fan of Heifer; but I also think First Book is a great charity. Either way, I'm in.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I hope it happens again this year. I'm not too picky on who I donate to, as long as I do since I don't like to discriminate based on location. A sick kid in San Diego is the same as a sick kid in New York.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be more than happy to send a little money and/or time to a chosen cause. I'll confess I'm a reluctant organizer of such things at best, though.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Heifer or First Book or Child's Play. I'll donate to any one of them.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Who would be willing to organize this year's charity project, should we just charge it to the person that did it last year?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
She volunteered to do it again, up there.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am totally interested in helping out with a donation, if I can come up with some money! If I can't, maybe there is another way I will be able to contribute.

(I am extremely poor at the moment. I have $0.63 in my bank account and have not done any Christmas shopping yet!)

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

My bad. Are we going to do it then?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the microlending idea that Storm Saxon brought up above. That makes an enormous difference to families and whole communities in the third world, and our money is leveraged greatly, because for each successful business that gets going, the returns continue to accrue for the life of the business. Also, because it's a loan, it can be paid back, and then used again and again to start more new businesses. If you want real bang for your buck, microlending is the way to go.

However, I would be delighted to contribute to either First Book, or the Heifer project, if that's what people prefer.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I went ahead and sent my donation in to Bonnie via paypal for this year's gift. I'm assuming her email address hasn't changed since last year.

Dr. Rabbit, do you want to publicize the email address? I will wait and let you do that. =)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Child's Play.

100% of proceeds go to the beneficiaries: ZERO administrative fees. Practically unheard of in an international charity.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.