FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Probably an obvious computer question, but I can't get it...

Author Topic: Probably an obvious computer question, but I can't get it...
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how to set the default folder view option on my computer. This seems painfully obvious, but I can't find it in the folder options, nor anywhere in the Control Panel. I want to see thumbnails, and it keeps showing me this incredibly obnoxious filmstrip for all new folders.

Any ideas?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that if you choose "Apply to All Folders" from the View tab in the Folder Options dialog, the settings of the current folder are replicated to all folders.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
And while we're at it, can anyone explain why all my files show up in reverse-alphabetical order when I try to upload or download something? (If I just go into My Documents from my desktop, it's all normal.) This is driving me up the wall.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the folder where you see the "filmstrip." On the tool bar click "view." You will see halfway down the list, "filmstrip, thumbnails, tiles, icons," et cetera,

Filmstrip will have a black dot next to it. Choose the other viewing option you want (like list). That is all.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Open any folder, and on the menu bar, pick Tools, Folder Options, and either General or View tab. I don't *know* that what you want will be there, but some things are.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
And while we're at it, can anyone explain why all my files show up in reverse-alphabetical order when I try to upload or download something? (If I just go into My Documents from my desktop, it's all normal.) This is driving me up the wall.

This is probably because you sorted in this screen before to show that way and it has stuck. To change, change the view of that folder to "Details", then sort on the Name column until it is where you want it. Then change the view back to List or whatever you normally use. Click apply to all folders and it should be done.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
First, right click your mouse and mouse over "View". Change it to whatever you want. (Thumbnails or whatever)

Then click Tools -> Folder Options, and go to the "View" tab. Then click the "Apply to All Folders" button. From then on all of your folders will display the annoying thumbnails. (use 'details'. it's much better)

As for your alphabetical problem, Right above your first item in whatever folder, you should see a little bar that says "Name", then "Size", then "type", etc. Click on "Name" until a little arrow is pointing UP. That will alphabetize the folder correctly.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Thanks, guys!
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.