FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you play...

Author Topic: How do you play...
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
... an arpegio? On Monday, my band conductor wants everyone to play an arpegio on the B flat concert scale, the B flat concert scale in whole notes, triplets, intervals, and eighth notes. I switched from trumpet to tuba three weeks ago, and I'm still learning the fingerings. Does any one know how to play an arpegio?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing arpegio brings to mind is the AristoCats. So um... sing that song from the AristoCats with B flat as the first note and see what happens.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I *think* it goes like this:

base note (in this case B flat)
major third
perfect fifth
octave
third *down*
fifth *down*
base note

arpegios can get more complicated than that, though. Don't be afraid to ask your director if you're confused. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Essentially you just play the first, third, fifth, and last step of the scale.

So...in B Flat concert you would play B flat, D, F, B flat. And then go back down the same way.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

I've been trying to ask my conductor, but we practice at the other school in the district. We have to hurry to catch the bus back, or they just leave us behind.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.