FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Phelpsians are comng to my town

Author Topic: Phelpsians are comng to my town
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Just read that people from the Rev. Fred Phelps church are coming to my little town to protest at a veteran's funeral tomorrow.

You know how I said, in PapJ's thread, that anyone who couldn't find a non-profane way of expressing themselves needed to work on their vocabulary? There are times when my own vocabulary doesn't work very well, so I'm going to refrain from saying what I think about this.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!”
-Tom Lehrer

People like the members of the Westboro Baptist Church bring out that response in me. They've been to at least one military funeral in our area (which our paper reported on). We might want to ignore them - it would be nice to put in a news story, "Members of a radical group of hatemongers which must not be named protested at the funeral, but were ignored by everybody." Unfortunately, we can't do that in news. If we report on something, we have to be clear on who was there. [No No] [Wall Bash]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Well Chris, this is your opportunity to stand between them and the funeral. As Edmund Burke said, "All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing."
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully the patriot riders will show up, and then you can join them.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
How about making a sign:

And God said:
"Reverend Phelps?
...Never heard of him."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Patriot Riders will be there, the story is more about them than about Phelps' group. And I'm seriously considering stopping by, to provide more blockage or something. I wouldn't bring a sign though, don't want to make it any more of a spectacle than it already is.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Better be careful, Chris.

God might kill a bunch of...I dunno, alligators, for your refusal to recognize WBC's authoritay.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, could you use your position at your paper to set up some kind of lemons to lemonade type thing, where people pledge to donate X amount/minute of protest to some related cause that the Phelpsites would find objectionable?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I would greatly appreciate it if you could find a way to detain them in Florida indefinately and never allow them to come back to Kansas! [Wink]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
To hell with that idea, and with Phelps!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you pass out cards:
"Please forgive them, they know not what they do."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite response to these guys was from the Lutheran church in a town where I used to live. They completely ignored the Phelps contingent while they were there, and then the community gathered after they left and scrubbed the street where they'd been.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

We have enough ignorant people here, I really don't want any ignorant and malicious ones.

dkw - I like that!

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder*

This really hits close to home. My dad's recent burial in a brand-new military cemetery here was accompanied by a peaceful, dignified, and beautiful ceremony. I can't imagine why anyone would want to disturb the peace of grieving loved ones, and to do so while claiming to represent the will of God is especially heinous.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: I'm with Noemon. The HRC could use donations in Mr Phelps's name... I'm sure that would particularly gaul him.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.