FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The latest "For Better or For Worse" story arc...

Author Topic: The latest "For Better or For Worse" story arc...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...I dunno. While Lynn Johnston has never avoided dramatic situations of this nature before, something seems "off" about this one. The pacing seems...clunky, somehow. Like she's trying to force the emotions.

She earned my tears when April almost drowned, and Farley lost his life saving her.

Then again, she may be burnt out. The strip is ending in 2007, and the last few years have been heavy on the drama.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I confess to not having read FBoFW for a couple months. So I went back and started two weeks back and read forward. Maybe I'm just a softy, but this arc is making me cry.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the April/Farley storyline - how did that happen?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been waiting for this for probably more than a year now. She's been hinting he's got Alzheimer's for a long time, and I was expecting this to be a seizure, but a stroke makes just as much sense. His story was still hanging, and yeah, the strip is wrapping up soon.

I think part of the shift in the drama has been that the characters are all getting older. Before, the Patterson family was the centre, and they were all centralised. But now they're spread out, with Michael married with his own kids, Elizabeth teaching, and the family all spread out. It's harder to keep a slow pace when you have so many people to focus on. It really resonates with me, actually, because that's where my own family is at right now.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually cried too.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn. Just reading about the April/Farley thing made me get all weepy a bit. I am such a sap when it comes to sad pet stories.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not questioning the use of drama, or even this particular drama. In truth, she began the gradual shift of tone from sitcom to "dramedy" soap opera way back in the 80s.

And I've lost loved ones in this way too.

I guess that's why it feels less effective to me. The clumsy attempt at humor earlier in the arc ("it must be serious if he won't eat prime rib!") threw me out of the story. And for some reason I'm not engaged by the further strips.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The deadline for conclusion is appropriate. The family structure has descended into diluted waters.

Distance has worn the strip's previous dynamic thin. We're in the twilight of the final resolutions.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The strip is ending in 2007, and the last few years have been heavy on the drama.

This was news to me. I've been poking around on the For Better or Worse website, and am not finding any references to it. Could you post a link (I'm not doubting that you're right, but I'm curious to read about it for myself)?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

This article says:
quote:
Lynn Johnston's partly autobiographical strip, which began in 1979 and may end in 2007
I found this article from 2002 via Wikipedia.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sniffle*
rivka
Member # 4859

And speaking of comics that are making me cry . . .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.