FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good Habits

Author Topic: Good Habits
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
This is prompted a bit by Eduardo's Bad Habits thread. That, and I'd really like to know what y'all do when you're trying to develop a good habit. What steps do you take when you're trying to develop a good habit? What works for you? What doesn't?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
and just for good measure: How does one recognize a good habit?
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*nods* Good question.

I'll take Recognizing a Good Habit for $100, Alex...

I think a good habit is one which enables a person to be happier, healthier, more balanced, and which results in a person being a contributing member of society... Take Two. A good habit is one which leads to positive results. Yeah, I'll go with that one. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case I might just have some good habits after all.

Reading; it allows me explore all kinds of different aspects of the human condition. By getting to know about other people, be they real or fictional, I wind up learning about myself.

Perhaps I can think of some more good habits later on...

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

Well....
It seems like most of you out there aren't exactly willing to talk about your good habits. I think this is mighty strange, since I absolutely refuse to believe that we're all totally devoid of good habits.
Perhaps you're all just being extremely modest... But then again, I do recall hearing somewhere that modesty is a virtue, and doesn't that make it a good habit as well? [Big Grin]

So, in a stubborn attempt to give this thread life (no CPR involved) I'll be frank with you once more. One other good habit I think I do possess: Wanting to help other people.

Now come on, shed this cloak of modesty and tell us all about the positive attributes of your character, and I promise you that I at least won't think any less of you for it. [Wink]

"Come as you are...I swear I don't have a gun"

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
My best good habit right now is getting up early in the morning. I've made a morning ritual of getting up at 5:45, showering, ironing my clothes, then I sit down and catch up on e-mail (and Hatrack) while I blow dry my hair, put on makeup, etc. I'm out of the house by 6:45 which makes me 45 minutes early to work and avoids most bad traffic on the highway. It gives me enough time to do any last-minute prep before class starts.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I brush my teeth every day.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What steps do you take when you're trying to develop a good habit? What works for you? What doesn't?
You know, that's a really good question. For me, it takes a wholehearted desire. I'm not very good about scheduling or organizing, and little notes or reminders in my planner just don't do it for me (what planner?).

So, basically, for me to develop a good habit I have to really, really want to in order to keep that idea at the forefront of my mind and be consistent about doing it.

My question is, how I get from the half-hearted, "yeah, I know that would be good for me" frame of mind to the "I am gonna do this no matter what" life-changing frame of mind? If I could pinpoint what makes the difference, I think I'd be a lot better at effecting positive change in my life.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.