FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Legion of Super-Heroes

Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it suffered from "first episode syndrome". There was a lot to introduce, and lots of time was spent focusing on the notion that this "Superman" is an untried novice.

Little in the way of character development or motivation is supplied for the Legionnaires or the Fatal Five...though I did enjoy the banter between Bouncing Boy and Brainiac 5.

Plus, I'm glad the Legionnaires with powers that might be deemed too silly (such as Triplicate Girl) made the cut.

At SDCC, the show's creators said that the first season will start out very light and fun, but quickly introduce the darker elements of Legion lore.

Hoping the Timber Wolf episode next week shows some of that.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I unfortunately missed the episode as I've been having to drive my roommate to and from work since his truck broke down. Hopefully I can catch it at some point.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, is this a cartoon now? We cut out cable TV recently and man, I've always been a huge legion fan. Back in the 1970s as a kid, I loved it, and it's always been my favorite comic line.
Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yes, currently airing on the CW Saturday mornings in the United States.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Okay, I finally caught the episode (hooray for having friends who record things). I liked it, although I sort of wish Clark wasn't in it. To me, the really good stuff was most of the non-Clark stuff. Oh well. Oh and was it just me or was there a sort of continuity error in the Legion logo on his belt in the fight (before he got it after the fight)? It seemed odd to me in the battle and then when he got it after I was like "hey, wait a minute..."

EDIT: I wonder which origin for Validus they'll mention (if any). In the older pre-Zero Hour comics, he was the child of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl taken by Darkseid and cursed into that form (hoping that either the child would kill the parent or vice versa). Post-Zero Hour though, Validus no longer has any relation to Lightning Lad or Saturn Girl (and apparently he's a lot weaker). I personally like the pre-Zero Hour version myself (of course I grew up reading Legion of Super-Heroes comics from the 70's at a barbershop in my parents' hometown, so I may be biased [Razz] )

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for HegemonsAcolyte   Email HegemonsAcolyte         Edit/Delete Post 
How is Superman connected to it? I have never been too big a Legion fan, but i recall the Legion coming together because of Superboy ending up in the future *or something like that*.

Anyways, how did they explain his presence in the show? Also, was it Superman or Superboy?

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

In the show, they went back in time and pulled in a young Clark to help them (although it took a little talking to recruit him). He's technically Superboy (based on age), but they can't call him that in the show due to legal reasons. So he's called Superman in the show, despite his young age.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Post-Zero Hour though, Validus no longer has any relation to Lightning Lad or Saturn Girl (and apparently he's a lot weaker).

Validus' power levels were not diminished after Zero Hour. His origin was never revealed.

It's a moot point, though. The comic book LSH has been rebooted yet again. [Roll Eyes]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, I was actually just reading about how they rebooted it again. I guess that's the nature of things though.
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
But when will the Legion of Substitute Heroes show up? I love those guys!
Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Well, Polar Boy's symbol is seen during the opening credit sequence. Not sure about the rest of the Subs.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Wow. What a difference getting beyond the pilot episode makes!

While the first episode was fun in a light, mindless sort of way...episode two was very well done.

The Legionnaires themselves were the focus this time, instead of "Rookie Clark". Their interactions crackled with personality and snap to spare.

Brainy, Chuck, Imra, and Garth are all in character. And quite interesting!

Timber Wolf's origin was dark, bringing to mind one of the "Cadmus" JLU episodes. Nice to see that this version of the 31st century will be a mixture of Silver Age wonder and the darker corners later versions introduced. I like having a mixture.

And hey...random Legionnaire cameos! I spotted Blok, Dreamy, Cos, Jan. Gim, Vi, Dirk...and Tyroc?!? Didn't expect to see him. Hee-hee-hee.

[ September 30, 2006, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

I really liked this week's episode. I think once they got beyond the focus on Clark, things got a lot better. There was a lot of good stuff in this episode, like the slightly darker origin for Timber Wolf that Puffy Treat pointed out. I too enjoyed all the Legionnaire cameos. I can't wait to see some of them in action in the show.

I did have two sort of small problems/things that bugged me. Why does Bouncing Boy bounce instead of flying? That just didn't make much sense to me. I mean I know that's part of his powers and all, but still wouldn't it just be easier to fly (what with the ring and all)? This is of course on pertinent in non-battle situations. I can understand bouncing around in battle. Also there were some minor animation errors that sort of bugged me (the length and color of Saturn Girl's eyebrows kept changing). It was just sort of sloppy; I would have hoped for some consistency. Still these are both super minor problems and don't detract from the good stuff of this show.

Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

Finally got to see the show and I liked it pretty good. Not such a fan of Brainy tho...

Now when does Jo Nah of Rimbor show up? Ultra Boy was always my favorite character.

And I thought I saw Tyroc, too. But nahh... his island won't come back for how many more years?

My vote to make a comeback, and soon, is Dawnstar... whit-whoooooo!!!!

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Ultra Boy's and Dawnstar's symbols can both be glimpsed during the opening title sequence. One can assume we'll see them sooner or later.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well I watched this week's episode and I was somewhat disappointed. It was another Superman heavy episode. I'm fine with one member or another of the Superman family being involved with the Legion (I mean I'm still reading the current Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes comic), but I just wish that they weren't the focus. We have (and have had) separate series just to focus on them. Why not give the other members of the Legion a chance to shine? I'm going to keep watching this series, but I hope that we get more episodes like last week's Timber Wolf one.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why not give the other members of the Legion a chance to shine?
While I certainly sympathize with this in theory, it's like asking why the Beatles didn't let Ringo sing more often.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Missed today's episode. Had to work. What happened?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Clark saved a spoiled rich girl named Alexis when she was doing something stupid with this mech armor she had. Alexis liked him and decided that they needed to be friends and hang out a lot. Clark wasn't opposed to this as he felt like he didn't have many real friends to have fun with in the Legion. So the two hung out, and while they did (and while he was ignoring his Legion communicator), the Legion got attacked by this weapon-wielding group called the Scavengers. Clark finally decides that Alexis is taking too much of his time and that he needs to focus on the Legion. Alexis gets mad and decides that she needs to get rid of the Legion so she can have Clark all to herself. She gets better equipment for the Scavengers and gets a giant new mech for herself. She distracts Clark with a distress beacon and then attacks the Legion, and she almost wins. Clark races back though (once he knows the beacon is a decoy) and beats the Scavengers and Alexis. Alexis tries to destroy Clark with a laser, but he more or less pushes it back into the gun it came form (which causes the whole mech to explode). Alexis is burned some and loses her hair (she looked like Lex Luthor, which is probably the intention given the name and the wealth). The last scene shows her in a jail cell, her hair really short now, carving the Legion symbol into the desk and then stabbing it with a knife, more or less vowing revenge against the Legion if it takes the rest of her life.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Looking up the listing for tomorrow (so I could set up a tape to record it), it looks like they may be repeating the first episode again. [Grumble] That seems a little odd to me seeing as how we've only had a total of three episodes thus far, and you'd think they'd get a few more before they start repeating them. I can hope that the listing is wrong and that it is a new episode, but it's rare that the listings are off.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Only thirteen episodes were ordered for the first season.

New episodes won't turn up again until November.

Him. Saw a screen capture of the Alexis episode. If you translate her last name from Interlac to English, one gets "Luthor". [Big Grin]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Even with only thirteen episodes though, I would have expected a few more news ones before they took a break. I would have expected 5-6 episodes to be shown, then a break, and then the other 7-8 episodes to be shown. It just seems very odd to be to take a break after only three episodes.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Finally, a new episode!

Unfortunately, it's another "Superman Legacy" episode.

Drax (who, due to the "Z" insignia is probably the son of General Zod or something) is accidentally released from the Phantom Zone by Clark.

Slugfest ensues.

Some nice character moments with Tinya, and they're obviously building up the fact that Brainy feels ashamed of his own connection to the Superman legacy.

Still, hoping for more non-Super-focused stories.

P.S. No Mon-El cameo? [Frown]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

I actually didn't wake up or tape this one. Thanks to the reruns the last few weeks, I've just sort of forgotten about the series. I'm sure I'll catch the episode at some point though. From what you say, it does seem odd that there would be no Mon-El cameo in such an episode.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, so I like sleeping in more than I like the kiddy version of the superheroes I love.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It was sort of cool to see Doomsday in the Phantom Zone.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Another new episode!

Things I liked:

Jo Nah! Tenzil Kem! Hopefully they'll join the Legion soon.

Tinya's mocking of Clark's "bumpkin" repsonse to meeting President Wazzo was quite funny.

Mekt is still a bad seed.

Nice to have Garth take the spotlight instead of Clark.

Things I disliked:

The Fatal Five need a tad more fleshing out.

Not enough Tinya and Jo flirting. [Wink]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Drax appears to be a brainwashed Mon-El : Why else the constant reminders from elsewhere that he's a bad guy?

If I remember*correctly, there was a Legion timeline in which Mon-El was driven mad by isolation through shunning by the other PhantomZone prisoners, and came to hate Superman for poisoning him, then breaking the promise of a cure and freedom to desert him there for the centuries between Superboy's time and the Legion era.

* Which I may not. If I read it, it was via skimming through one of my friends' collections while waiting for him/her to complete a task; ie not through actual reading.

[ November 11, 2006, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Brainy indicated that Drax's genetic code was almost a perfect match for Clark's. Daxamites aren't quite perfect matches with Kryptonians...common lead being lethal to them instead of the fairly rare Kryptonite being the most obvious difference.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Super-heroes? What's this?
I am a super villian, and I demand that a legion of my kind be formed. All fear the dastardly Spictacular!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.