FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does anybody here use those battery powered razors?

Author Topic: Does anybody here use those battery powered razors?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean an electric shaver, I mean those Gillette ones that are semi-old-fashioned, like with disposable blades and stuff, but they use batteries.

What do they do, exactly? I'm having trouble grasping what a "battery-powered" blade razor is about.

If you use it, why do you prefer it?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Shaving costs so much money.

I wish having a beard was in fashion again.

The battery-razors looked like a hoax.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
When I moved to GA, my sponsor (the guy that picked me up from the airport and showed me around) suggested them and I've been using them ever since. They do seem to work better than the "conventional" razor. The box says that the vibrations on the skin stimulate the hair follicles, making them easier to raze. I, for one, believe the box.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like snake oil to me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Huh. If I could try it for free, I would give it a shot, but I can't see spending the money on one of those expensive shavers for something that might not do anything.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband uses them and loves them. As a recipent of the thoroughness of the razor, my sensitive skin appreciates the closeness of the shave as well [Wink] Well worth the money IMHO.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Like this? I am behind in the world of shavers. I found my Daisy Deluxe Disposable with comfort strip and stopped dead in my evolutionary tracks.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
The husband of one of the people who did an Aliyah at my bar-mitzvah was vice-president of shaving products for gillette for a good long while, so every time they release a new razor, I get a nice shiny one in a box from him. The battery powered fusion is fantastic. Yeah, the blades are expensive. But my girlfriend thinks its well worth it.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah, Sara.

So is its strength in the closeness of its shave, or in the painlessness of it?

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I've used it, twice. Major razor bumps, both times.

Not the razor's fault, but needless to say I don't shave very often.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"So is its strength in the closeness of its shave, or in the painlessness of it?"

Both.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, bring up Gillete, won't you? You know how I feel about them!

(I might as well mention it: I use to be the owner of the "mach3.com" domain. Don't ask anything further...)

I've never used them. I cut myself regularly with a standard razor anyway; the thought of using one that is battery powered and vibrates without my direct control is even scarier. I use full on electrics.

As for them being a hoax, perhaps; it's a good reason to charge upwards of $10 for a single razor.

And, short of adding more and more blades, it's the next selling point. What, are they up to five blades now? I'm waiting for the razor that has so many blades the head's the size of a dinner plate.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't used the newere version, but I had an older version of a disposable blade razor that had batteries and a vibrating motor, I though it did and excellent job, and found myself less likely to cut myself and got a closer shave. The model I had was part of a sample kit of products I was looking at importing. It was much bulkier that the modern versions.

I would recommend them.

I'm not sure what the cost of the blades are but from what I've heard, Manufacturers make very little on the razor, the real money is in the blades.

Just passing it along.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Nighthawk, it's a shame they didn't give you some free razors--for life maybe--as a token gesture after buying that domain for a song.

Not that you use them anyway, but I do use Mach 3 Turbo razors, and they're actually damned good.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I already spend enough on razor blades without having to buy batteries for manual razors as well.

But I have to admit, the idea of getting a closer shave is kind of tempting.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Used the Fusion (Gillete?),which vibrates and has five blades, for a couple of weeks. At first I thought it worth the extra $$. But the blades were too expensive and when I switched back to the Sensory 3. I found that it cut as close as the battery operated Fusion. Results may very per person, I have a rough beard. Bottom line, the vibrating and the five blades made zero difference in the quality of my shave.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.