FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good thoughts for me and my girl, please

Author Topic: Good thoughts for me and my girl, please
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow is Em's 9th birthday, and by happy (or not) coincidence her first real judged gymnastics competition. When asked what type of party she wanted her response was "I don't care about a party, I want my friends and our family to come see me compete."

So...everyone is coming to the meet, then afterwards we are going to her favorite restaurant for dinner. Sunday we're planning a more traditional cake and ice cream and open presents kind of party as well.

That was the plan and it was a good one until Tuesday night at gymnastics practice when she went to do a round off and her ankle turned and she collapsed on it. The coaches iced it right away but by the time we got home there was a spreading bruise and swelling. Definitely a sprain.

As of right now, she is still making it along, and still insists she is okay to compete Friday. I must admit, she's done better than I thought she would - she's walking on it without a limp and the swelling has gone down. But, I'm still worried she won't be able to compete on it. That will crush her, because having everyone see her compete was the only thing she wanted for her birthday.

So...just keep us in your thoughts? I know it's a trivial thing, there will be other meets, but it's not trivial to a nine year old. And I would be disappointed too, if I'd worked so hard for so long to get to something and was too hurt to participate. The birthday angle just makes it worse. Thanks, guys. I may not be online much the next couple of days, it's our host meet so I'll be busy not only watching her compete but volunteering to work other parts of the meet.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Done, Belle. You and Emily are on my good thoughts list from now through the weekend.

Yes, it would be quite a blow for her. [Frown]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
but it's not trivial to a nine year old.

Absolutely!

Good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well...I thought I'd be gone for a while after posting this I needed to go get some things for the meet.

And I have a flat tire. so I'm going nowhere.

This does not bode well. [Frown] Wes is on his way home to fix it for me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! Poor kid. [Frown]

*sending healing thoughts to Em's ankle*

*and to your tire*

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and good vibes coming your way! Good luck Em!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Belle and Em)))
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck for your daughter, Belle. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
((Belle and Em))
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the phrase "break a leg" would be totally inappropriate.

You are all in our thoughts!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's not trivial to a nine year old. [Smile] Prayers and good vibes are on their way. Good luck!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
aww, poor little thing! I'm sending all my happy thoughts to her - and I know whatever happens, she'll have an awesome birthday. [Smile]
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my. Happy Birthday to Emily and I hope she's healthy enough to compete! Y'all will be in my thoughts.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know how it goes. I'm sending good vibes to her!
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
please pass on my "Happy Birthday", and I hope the meet went well!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, little one!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Real quick, because it's late and I'm tired...she competed, and hurt the ankle again. [Smile] So it wasn't the best of meets, but she did get through it and wound up with a 5th place on floor and a 7th place all around which is excellent for her first meet!

She was grinning from ear to ear because the podium goes to sixth place, so that fifth place meant she was on the podium and she was one happy girl. She won five medals all together. (but then, they give medals out all the way down to 12th place, so most girls get medals)

She got to eat at her favorite Mexican restaurant where they put the sombrero on her head and sang to her. She was so hungry she barely paused eating while they did it!

Anyway, I think she had a good birthday even though she was hurt. we have another meet next Friday so we'll keep an eye on the ankle again. Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I do hope she takes care of that ankle. Sacrificing a potential career for a competition when you're nine just isn't worth it, nomatter how important it can seem at the time. Did the coach okay her to compete even though she was hurt?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh, of course, sm. And, we had a professional athletic trainer on staff who checked it out as well. All the swelling was gone before we let her compete, and she could bear weight on it. At the meet itself, it gave under her a bit when she did her dismount from the beam, so they iced and re-wrapped it. I've already checked it again this morning, and last night's swelling has already dissipated. She can walk on it fine without a limp this morning.

There's still some bruising, but I don't think it's fresh bruising, if you know what I mean. It's still purple in spots but I believe that's still bruising from the original injury on Tuesday night.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nine year olds recover so much quicker than us middle-agers, too! [Smile] They are extremely resilient.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to Emily! Let us know how she does in the meet this Friday. I hope that her ankle can heal completely by then so that it won't be bothering her too much.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
How is Emily doing with her gymnastics?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well, the regular gymnastics season (compulsories) is over. Her team finished 4th in the state. Not bad, out of 24 teams.

Personally, she finished as follows in her age group:

Vault - Tied for 16th
Bars - 7th
Beam - Tied for 9th
Floor - 9th
All Around - 12th

So, considering that hers was the largest age group at state competition, and it was her first year to compete, those placements aren't too bad.

But, we're not finished with competition. Because this group of level 3's are the best our gym has ever had (in 25 years of competing), they've decided to take them to Prep Op (Optionals) competition starting in February. This will be the first time our gym has ever taken level 3's to prep op. [Smile]

To get ready, Emily is working on her back handspring for the floor and her cartwheel on the beam. Tonight she did both without a spotter. [Smile]

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Vault - Tied for 16th
Bars - 7th
Beam - Tied for 9th
Floor - 9th
All Around - 12th

So, considering that hers was the largest age group at state competition, and it was her first year to compete, those placements aren't too bad.

Not bad? They're great! Swimming uses a similar meet -> states system to gymnastics if I recall correctly. Man I'd kill to get those placements at a state meet in swimming. Congrats [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
No spotter? Wow! Keep up the good work, Em! You, too, Belle! *smile*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Was she wearing an ankle brace of any kind? Tape?

Once you sprain an ankle, it's really easy to twist it or sprain it again and again. Proper athletic ankle support is a must to prevent re-spraining and permanent injury.

My sister sprained her ankle many times in Jr. High and High School sports. These days, if she's not wearing ankle supports on both feet, it seems like she gets a sprain everytime she sneezes. So, tell your kiddo to take it easy.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's really awesome!! I hope that she continues to do well!

Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.