FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what is wrong with my car?

Author Topic: what is wrong with my car?
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
When I drive a short distance, for example today I drove only 20 miles, then already my left front wheel gets overheated. I almost burn my hand on the frame. What could that be?
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the engine temperature going up, or is just the tire / wheel that is hot? Does that tire show any excessive or uneven wear?

My guess would be either an alignment or break problem. If the breaks are partly engaged, or the emergency break is on, that might cause the tire to heat up.

Is it the rubber that's hot, or the metal rim inside the tire, or the metal of the car body around the tire?

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

No Mighty, the engine temperature is not going up. The tire does not show excessive or uneven wear, but it looses air quicker than the other tyres.
It's not the rubber that's hot, it is all the metal of the car body around the tire and the small metal wheel inside, the center of the wheel.
It does feel like the break is affected when it gets overheated, but when I start driving and the wheel is still cold I notice no break problem.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Loose nut behind the steering wheel?

Ok, enough snarkyness--I'd have the breaks checked.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

Sure, also a loose nut behind the steering wheel:-)

I hope it's nothing more than the breaks. That won't be an expensive repair. I am just worried this might be the end of my car :-(

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be a wheel bearing or brakes. My first thought was the tire was getting too low, but that would heat the rubber first, then the wheel from outer-rim inwards. If the center of the wheel is the hottest part, I'd suspect a bearing. If it's drum brakes, then sure, that could heat the rim too. But if it has disc brakes, I wouldn't expect that much heat transfer to the wheel.

Good luck!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ginette! [Wave] Long time no see!

Could your tire be rubbing against the wheel-well, or against something else?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ginette! Good to see you. How are things going for you, other than the car trouble?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

Hi friends [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] Good to see you too!

Well, I have never been really away from this place, been lurking around sometimes, of course I can't miss Hatrack [Big Grin] .

A lot has changed in my life, some other time I might post about it (if I dare). Most important for now is to say it has changed for the better and I am doing fine.

Thank you all for replying to my post, I am going to bring the car away now and will keep you updated on what was wrong.

Wow, it really feels good to always feel welcome here! :-) Thanks!

ginette
Member # 852

Got my car back today already :-)

It was the brakes. I don't know how you call it, but it was the thing in the middle that manages the brakes. It was corroded and that's why the brakes didn't work properly. One was almost completely gone.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Glad that it didn't cause an accident!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've driven without brakes. It adds excitement.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Relying on breaks to stop is just a crutch for poor drivers [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

Right MightyCow, I never missed them as we all use our gear to break, here in Europe [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.