FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I became a registered voter today.

Author Topic: I became a registered voter today.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly as it sounds!

I turned 18 in early July, but have kind of dithered around in registering. So I did it today.

And, after thinking about it, it makes perfect sense in a weird way to register to vote on the anniversary of 9/11.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work Shaw, just in time to vote in the midterms.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy jury duty [Razz]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I remember when I first registered to vote (probably because it wasn't long ago at all). And today I sent in my absentee ballot for the Hawaii primary.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. Now you can feel disenfrachised just like everyone else.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't registered to vote yet. But then, registering to vote goes against my current political views: apathetic.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
Exactly as it sounds!

I turned 18 in early July, but have kind of dithered around in registering. So I did it today.

And, after thinking about it, it makes perfect sense in a weird way to register to vote on the anniversary of 9/11.

Good for you. Just voted in my state's primaries this morning. It always feels good.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there goes the voting neighborhood.

I mean, Good job. Welcome to the club.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Gratz on partially preparing yourself to exercise your civic duty. Now you need only do what many people who vote do not do. Actually learn about the candidates and what they stand for.

We had a dicussion in class about voting and several people admitted voting because "They liked the sound of one candidates name better." and "One candidate was better looking than the other."

The drawbacks of a democracy were never more apparent.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

We had a dicussion in class about voting and several people admitted voting because "They liked the sound of one candidates name better." and "One candidate was better looking than the other."

That is why I maintain that apathy is a viable alternative to whimsical voting.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

That is why I maintain that apathy is a viable alternative to whimsical voting.
Oh I've read some interesting studies where the premise was that it is in fact more rational not to vote then it is TO vote.

Ill have to try and dig them up.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.