FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone know something about economics?

Author Topic: Anyone know something about economics?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Like for this game of EU2 we have compiled the lsit of casualties for a war lasting from 1488-1500 as being 4,400,000 causalties costing 58,000 ducates.

So I wanna know is assuming inflation what would it be worth today in US dollars?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing very rough estimations on the value of gold, it seems to be close on $2,000,000,000,000. This is very rough. It wouldn't surprise me if I was off by several orders of magnitude.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If it might be off by an OoM, why bother posting an "answer" at all?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you have to bear in mind that

a) EU2 casualties bear absolutely no resemblance to real-world ones for the time period. You can divide by ten to get reasonable armies, but this doesn't apply to the casualties, because the soldiers in EU2 die like flies.

b) EU2 ducats bear absolutely no resemblance to the real-world monetary unit of that name; they are a completely arbitrary internal unit given a historical-sounding name.

c) EU2 economics has only a rather vague resemblance to real-world ones; for example, there are money sources and sinks, instead of a reasonably fixed supply of currency.

d) EU2 recruiting bears basically zero resemblance to real-world recruiting, which relied way more heavily on mercenaries, and also the upkeep was vastly more expensive than the initial raising.

Bearing all that in mind, what you could do is this:
  • Figure the cost as a percentage of the state revenues for the period in question.
  • Set some kind of equivalence between your state and a historical one; an EU2 France should be reasonably similar to the OTL one, give or take some Italian conquests.
  • Look up the OTL revenues for the period; apply your percentage.
  • Figure the inflation. Voila, modern numbers!

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

and luckily I ahev a book that can do just that "The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" from 1500-2000 by Paul Kennedy.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, that was the book I had in mind to get the statistics from. Great minds, and all that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Oddly enough, that was the book I had in mind to get the statistics from. Great minds, and all that. [Big Grin]

Great minds kill people. You know it's true. [Smile]
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

As long as I'm not one of them, what do I care?

*Kills Reticulum with the power of his mind alone*

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i read that book a few years ago and I found it a balanced unbiased work of economic literature going throough in detail why things happened in terms of economics. Im gonna have to dig it up for this.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
As long as I'm not one of them, what do I care?

*Kills Reticulum with the power of his mind alone*

*Makes convincing dying sounds*

*dies*

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] [The Wave] [Party] [The Wave] [Party] [The Wave]

Just kidding [Smile]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Oh ha ha ha. [Razz]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

rofl.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i read that book a few years ago and I found it a balanced unbiased work of economic literature going throough in detail why things happened in terms of economics.
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
*pauses for breath*
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
All i know about economics (or anything for that matter) : It's all about the balance.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.