FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To the Microsoft proficient...

Author Topic: To the Microsoft proficient...
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
or at least, the more proficient than I.

For a while now, whenever I start up my computer or open up an MS office program, a little window pops up titled "Windows Installer" and says something about configuring MS office. The program won't open until I hit the "cancel" button, but other than that, it works normally. It doesn't seem harmful to my computer, but it is rather annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

Some info:

A) I'm running Windows XP pro and Office XP pro with Frontpage.

B) I think it started happening when I tried to install the Japanese language plugin. It never seemed to work right, and I uninstalled it, but the problem persists.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
If you still have your Office CD, drop it back it and see if installs whatever bit it is looking for....

quote:
says something about configuring MS office
Kinda need more info than this. You remind me of most of the callers I get every day: "there was some pop-up error, I don't know what it said." [Roll Eyes]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...drop it back it and see if installs whatever bit it is looking for..."

Warning! Warning! That does not not compute.
Danger! Danger! Will Robinson

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
A short bout of surfing turned up a bug in Windows Installer.

The easiest fix would be to reinstall office and not choose the "This feature will be installed when required" options on any of the applications. That should fix it.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
put the CD back in and let it finish.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal's got the answer. Just do a complete install and you'll never ever ever have to worry about that curses window popping up again.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'll try that, Primal. Now I just need to find the software...

quote:
Kinda need more info than this. You remind me of most of the callers I get every day: "there was some pop-up error, I don't know what it said."
Sorry. It didn't say much more than that, although I did leave out the part where it asked me to insert the Office CD.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
This can also happen if your user profile got hosed, although I run into it more with Roaming Profiles than home installations. If you've re-installed Office with the complete feature set and you're still getting this, you can create a new user account and see if the problem persists.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.