FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! Computer Sound Problem (mayfly)

Author Topic: Help! Computer Sound Problem (mayfly)
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a laptop and I play music on it quite regularly. It sounds fine. Today I tried to play a DVD on it and the sound is horrible! It's scratchy and distorted. Now I'm playing music on it and it sounds fine. Using the same program (Windows Media Player). I've also tried other programs and its the same issue. And just a little over a week ago I played a DVD on it and it sounded fine. And I've changed nothing (that I know of)! It's extraordinarily frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(It's a Toshiba Satellite if that makes any difference. Only a few months old)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
It souunds like the problem is with the DVD itself -- what happens when you try another DVD, and what happens when you put the DVD in another player?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the DVD about an hour and a half ago, so it better not be a problem with the DVD.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
what do threads with the tag (mayfly) mean? Does that mean they are only expected to last like 24 hours?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you bought it an hour and a half ago, exchanging it should be simple. A lot simpler than replacing your sound card.

In other words, I'd take the word "not" out of your last post. [Smile]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, it could simply be a problem with the sound drivers. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling them?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I just tried the DVD out on another computer and it worked fine and just tried LOTR on my computer and there was the same problem.

The thing that really baffles me is that all other sounds on my computer work fine. It's just when I try to play a DVD. Oh, and even when I put on headphones, the scratchiness persists.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I would greatly appreciate and explanation of (mayfly)
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows use to have a "feature" where it would not play CD music back as CD music, but actually rip it, re-encode it, and play it back analog through the sound card. Beats the hell out of me as to why they chose to do that.

Inside of Windows Media Player, first make sure that in the "Rip Music" tab everything in the bottom half is unchecked.

Secondly, go to the "Devices" tab, click on your CD player and hit "Properties". There should be an option that says "Playback". Make sure it's DIGITAL and without error correction.

Can't think of much else.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Mayfly means a thread that will be deleted as soon as the poster finds the help he's looking for.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Alrighty, I did everything everyones said and nothings working. When I pause the movie and then hit play again, it works fine for half a second, then goes back to scratchy and tinny. It's also slowing down the playback of the DVD. I just tried playing a regular audio CD off the drive (one that hasn't been ripped to my laptop) and that played completely fine.

Yeah, sorry BlackBlade. I just think of it as meaning that it may fly away. Some mayflys stay, some are deleted rather quickly. I once had a mayfly that ended up not being a mayfly because people requested it so [Smile] . It was about me building a cake for a girl, a la Napoleon Dynamite. I can't remember if I ended up deleting that thread after all the angst or not. Hmm ...

*goes off to search for thread and get mind off incredibly frustrating and confusing computer problem.

EDIT: mmmm ... found it. Ah, memories.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be a problem with windows media player. Have you tried playing the disk with different software?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Yes. I'm beginning to think it's a problem with my DVD drive. Is that possible? That it plays a CD fine but not a DVD? The reason I'm thinking this is because there is this rather disturbing whirring sound coming from the drive when it starts to mess up. It's fine that first half a second, then it pauses sort of, the drive whirrs really fast, and then it starts again all scratchy and tinny.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that sounds like a bad sign.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very likely the DVD drive has gone bad. DVDs use a smaller wavelength laser to read and write information, so the laser may be losing its ability to run at that wavelength.

However, I have seen some computers with this problem that was caused by low RAM, and/or the use of PowerDVD's decoders. If you use PowerDVD, you might try using a different decoder like WinDVD. Also, make sure you shut down all background services before playing a DVD.

edit: Media player still uses PowerDVD's decoders, so even trying it in Media player could cause the same problem if it is the decoders screwing up.

[ August 01, 2006, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Blah blah DVD drive. Check the Toshiba support website for updated drivers and see if you can update your software DVD player. If that doesn't work, do what Boris said and try a different software DVD player. I'd recommend VLC.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.