FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » InDesign question

Author Topic: InDesign question
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, this may be a question for anyone who knows more about design and printing than I do, I don't know that it's really specific to InDesign.

I'm in over my head, but committed to laying out a book on Adobe InDesign CS on my PC. I am NOT a designer, and have barely learned enough to insert text and pictures and use master pages to create headers and page numbers.

The text of my document is Book Antiqua. The text portion of the document was created in Word.

The thing is, when I print the document, the text comes out looking different than it did in Word and than it does on screen. I just have an inkjet printer, so I know it's not the same as getting a proof from the printer. But I don't like the look of the text printed from InDesign to my printer. It almost looks like there's been a font change, or like the letters have been stretched out--it's very subtle, but there's a definite difference in the shape of the letters.

However, when I make a PDF file out of it and print that, the text looks the way I want it to--the way it looks on the computer screen and the way it printed from Word.

Is this a printer driver issue? Or what? Sorry, for this long post, I know I should go to some technical forum but I thought I'd try here first to see if anyone has any tips for me.

(edited to fix an inexplicably weird typo)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Could be a postscript issue. I'll ask my mom if she knows when she gets back.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh and here's where I'm really ignorant. I think the fonts I have are Open Type fonts if that means anything? Thanks for checking.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Is this a printer driver issue?

I would guess so. Try Palatino instead (if you have it) and see if it prints correctly; Book Antiqua is actually a knock-off of Palatino, so if your printer just has issues with that font, then maybe a different font that looks the same will work.

I'd be happy to take a look at the file if you want. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks so much, Jon Boy -- you may be hearing from me later! It's a big file--one chapter, 97 pages, lots of pix. I'm still fiddling w/ layout, so when I get it ready to send a PDF to the client, I may send you a copy.

If it's just an issue w/ my little inkjet printer, I don't really care, so long as the final product will come out okay. I guess that's what proofs are for . . . but the more I can figure out now, the better, obviously.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
LaTex for the win!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I never heard of it before, but I'm very impressed that Google recognized the capital T and gave me the LaTeX homepage as the first hit.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From the LaTeX site:
LaTeX is not a word processor! Instead, LaTeX encourages authors not to worry too much about the appearance of their documents, but to concentrate on getting the right content.

Hmm. Sounds like this is not the right software for the job Uprooted is doing.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom said if it's printing fine from the PDF, don't worry about it. It's probably something to do with the specific font and your printer.

Just use use the PDF.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks, narrativium--and thanks to your mom.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.