FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Who wants to be a superhero?"

Author Topic: "Who wants to be a superhero?"
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Caught the first episode tonight, and already I can tell I'm going to love this show and follow it to the end.

Within the first 15 minutes, one of the contestants is booted off, even before getting to the secret headquarters. Stan Lee has set the tone of the show to really be focused on being your hero 24/7, and teaching the contestants, and the audience, what being a real hero is.

He tells them right off the bat that a hero is someone who is smart, and always does the right thing, and has heart in what they do. And then half of them forget that in the first challenge.

And one of them... oh geez... he tells them to change in an area that is inconspicuous, and he changes in the open, where people are watching him.

The challenge ended up being painfully hard to watch. They were told to dress without being seen into their costumes, and race to a finish line, but there was a little girl crying at the end of the finish line because she had been seperated from their mother. And to see them run past, and then say something about how fast they were.... oooo, it hurts.

I got to admit, though, that I am going to be addicted to this show purely for one guy: Major Victory (you may have seen pictures or a clip... he's the guy in the red spandex suit). He's funny, he has a huge heart, he mentioned about how he wasn't the best of fathers (he was an exotic dancer), but is hoping he can come on the show and be the kind of hero he wishes he was for his kid. And he's the most animated of all the superhero's on the show. Everything he does is... cheesy, but really works for a guy in red spandex. Made me laugh anyway.

Anyone else watch the show?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy, another reason to be mad at my cable company for moving the sci-fi to digital cable only.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot it was tonight!

[Wall Bash]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all I can say is that I'm sorry that I won't be able to watch this show from where am curretly located. It sounds like it could outrageously funny. And besides I really want to be a superhero myself...
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught this last night as well. I thought it was pretty good overall. I was sort of bummed about the guy who got kicked off at the end. I thought the guy with the giant gun arm should have got kicked off (with a whole 2 strikes against him thing). Of course I'm not Stan Lee, so what do I know.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I caught this last night as well. I thought it was pretty good overall. I was sort of bummed about the guy who got kicked off at the end. I thought the guy with the giant gun arm should have got kicked off (with a whole 2 strikes against him thing). Of course I'm not Stan Lee, so what do I know.

I agree with the gun guy.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the prize at the end? Do they get their own comic book...or does Stan inject them with a radioactive isotope and pray for the best?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The challenge ended up being painfully hard to watch. They were told to dress without being seen into their costumes, and race to a finish line, but there was a little girl crying at the end of the finish line because she had been seperated from their mother. And to see them run past, and then say something about how fast they were.... oooo, it hurts.
Reminds me of the witches' duel in Lords And Ladies.

---

I'm pretty sure, but I have to ask. This is a reality show with real people, right, not a parody of reality shows? Like, guy has a gun arm. It's not a real gun arm, is it? More like a prop?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's the prize at the end? Do they get their own comic book...or does Stan inject them with a radioactive isotope and pray for the best?
Stan Lee writes a comic book about them and Sci-Fi channel gives them an original movie.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

And they're dropped into a pit full of radioactive spiders.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Is it just me, or is Stan Lee often very lacking in creativity? Almost all of them have this has the thing from Stan Lee's supercomputer:

"S/he got his/her superpowers from an explosion in a [blank] factory."

T_Smith
Member # 3734

"I'm pretty sure, but I have to ask. This is a reality show with real people, right, not a parody of reality shows? Like, guy has a gun arm. It's not a real gun arm, is it? More like a prop?"

Yeah, its with real people who made costumes, and the gun is a prop. However, the "Fat Mama" superheroine, does have real doughnuts hanging from her belt.

Joldo
Member # 6991

I gotta say, Fat Mama is turnin' out to be my favorite.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
is Stan Lee often very lacking in creativity?
Yes. By today's standards he's a hack. Even I can't compare with his hacknosity.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted the gun guy to get the boot. However, in regards to the challenge, the guy that did get the boot failed both parts of the challenge that mattered—changing inconspicuously and helping that little girl. The gun guy and monkey woman both at least managed to change out of sight (monkey woman in a TREE, no less) even though they didn't help the little girl.

But the gun dude reminds me of the Terminator more than anything else, and the Terminator wasn't a hero until T2.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get this show. The only 'superhero' that had any merit was this "Levity" character. His character's powers were something that wasn't real common (manipulating air molecules) and I don't see anything wrong with trying to bank on a character you designed. (ahem... MARVEL AND DC IM LOOKING AT YOU)

So they booted him out. I mean the point of the show is for the winner to get a comic and a Sci-Fi channel movie made about their character.

Does "Fat Momma" or "Creature" think they're really going to be made into a comic character? Levity was the only one (character-wise) with any real 'cool factor' to him and they booted him. LAME.

Instead they stay with the slut, the girl with the power of 'scream like a monkey', and the brainless musclehead, whos power is 'guns'.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Pfft, Feedback and Major Victory more than make up for the lameness of Creature and Cell Phone Girl. But come on.... they are pretty bouncy characters. [Smile]
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, Stan Lee didn't boot Iron Enforcer because every superhero group needs that edgy guy who doesn't work and play well with others but does the right thing in the end. He'll be the group's Batman or Wolverine. I think he'll be in the running until the very end for group dynamics if nothing else.

Major Victory is easily my favorite just for his enthusiasm. He didn't just run to the finish line, he danced there. He didn't just help the little girl, he carried her to safety in his arms. He threw his arms out and flew across the finish line. Plus, I loved his line after Stan listed the requirements. "He wants us to be superhuman. It'd be easier to try to fly."

But Feedback earned a special place in my heart last night. As the first one out, he was especially hard to watch run past the girl, but the look on his face when he figured out what was up was heartbreaking. I felt so bad for him. He knew he blew it and it was killing him. I think he'll be a lot of fun to watch. I hope he stays in the contest a while.

The ones I could do without are Creature and Lemuria. At least Cell Phone Girl has a funny gimmick. Those two are all about flirting and cleavage. Ugh.

Any word on next week's supervillain?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I made a keen observation on Feedback last night: Feedback makes stereotypical hero face reactions. Like when Stan came on and said this is not how superheros react, like when he was looking to change out of the public eye, when he realized he ran past the girl, and when Nitro G was eliminated.

If you have the episode saved, go to those parts and look at the reactions on his face and tell me those are hilariously acurate for a comic book.

I'm personally betting on a showdown of Major Victory and Feedback.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.