FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Batman Beyond: The most hardcore animated Batman series?

Author Topic: Batman Beyond: The most hardcore animated Batman series?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
During a retrospective of Bruce Timm's 15+ year DC Animated career at SDCC, a clip of Batman Beyond was played.

It received a -tremendous- positive audience response. More than any of the other shows.

Timm remarked that it's funny, when the show was announced back in 1998 all the fans HATED the idea. A teenage Batman? Fighting crime in the future? With gear obviously designed to court the 6-11 year old demographic?

Yet, it ended up being the darkest, edgiest, most violent and explicit of all the DC Animated series to this date.

Upon thought, I realized Timm was right. To this day I can't believe a Saturday morning show got away with some of the stuff Batman Beyond did.

(The Talia episode comes to mind!)

What made this so? The semi-dystopian future setting? The increase in science fictional ways of supplying villains?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, but I enjoyed the show immensely and I was sad to see it go, I thought it still had many awesome places to go.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Timm said the lukewarm response to Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (saleswise, anyway) and the fact that a show meant to appeal to kids still ended up skewing towards adults lead to it ending long before they ran out of stories.

Which is why I'm glad JLU managed to squeeze a little bit of closure about Terry in. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I loved that show. I never saw the end, though. I'll have to work on that.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw much of it, but liked what I saw. I'll have to see about watching the whole thing.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Timm said the lukewarm response to Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (saleswise, anyway) and the fact that a show meant to appeal to kids still ended up skewing towards adults lead to it ending long before they ran out of stories.

Which is why I'm glad JLU managed to squeeze a little bit of closure about Terry in. [Smile]

I really enjoyed Return of The Joker, I bought it on DVD. They did a REALLY good job in capturing the insanity of The Joker in that one.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I was never a fan of Batman Beyond. With the super costume it always felt more like Iron Man than Batman
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
I was never a fan of Batman Beyond. With the super costume it always felt more like Iron Man than Batman

What have you got against ironman!?
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
PT, how was San Diego? (How 'bout a thread on it?) [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Great show.

For fans of it, check out JLU episodes "The Once and Future Thing, part 2" and "Epilogue", which both feature Batman Beyond prominently.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i liked BMB, it had that dark setting to it which I liked good animation, cool fight scenes even ninja's on occasion.

But ya the Joker arc was amazing.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Batman Beyond. Very cool.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed that show as a teenager. I never did get why they marketed it to kids, though.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

San Diego was...mixed. I was a newbie there, it was too crowded, and the security people became flustered and mean by the weekend...but the cool stuff at the con was very cool.

I'll post a thread on it later. [Smile]

I'll add that Timm was extremely funny and honest. For instance, he was quite open about the first season of Justice League not being the best super-hero cartoon on TV...that X-Men: Evolution and Samurai Jack were the super-hero 'toons that raised the bar that year.

Plus, the Legion of Super-Heroes: The Animated Series panel was great fun. [Big Grin]

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this show. I wasn't a fan of it but I do recall that it was different -- as in, it was dissimilar to the rest of the stuff on CN at the time.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Batman Beyond and adored X-Men Evolution even more. They both made me feel less guilty about watching Saturday morning cartoons as a teenager.

That I liked BB as much as I did is interesting if only because I REALLY don't like the Batman character. I've always preferred Marvel heros over the ones from DC. But I loved the new spin. It worked for me.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I loved Batman Beyond and adored X-Men Evolution even more. They both made me feel less guilty about watching Saturday morning cartoons as a teenager.

That I liked BB as much as I did is interesting if only because I REALLY don't like the Batman character. I've always preferred Marvel heros over the ones from DC. But I loved the new spin. It worked for me.

Blasphemy! [Wink]

Why don't you like the Batman character? He happens to be my favorite comic hero (followed closely by Spider-man), so I'm just curious what you don't like about him.

And then I will begin to convert you! Mwahahah.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Spiderman fan, first and foremost. I like that Peter Parker is so easy to relate to. And what I enjoy about Spiderman and X-Men is seeing how the person and the hero identity are integrated and viewed. When you have a mutation storyline, you get alot of characters who are just average people struggling with gift/power/curse that was thrust upon them. Its interesting to see how that resolves itself.

My first impressions of Batman were of a very rich and angry man. I found that universe too dark and foreign. In the few incarnations that I've been exposed to, I did like Robin's character. He had emotions and motivations that I felt I could understand. Batman was just too distant of a character.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* So is there no chance that Bruce Timm will return to do more work in the DCAU? JLU and BMB both ended before their time, but I'm also thankful JLU had that episode that effectively served as the finale of BMB. By the way, did anyone notice that the final scene of Terry flying in that episode is a "shot-for-shot reversal" of the opening scene of the first episode of Batman: The Animated Series ("On Leather Wings")?

Also, there are two versions of the "Return of the Joker" movie. One with the "graphic content" censored, and the other uncut.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
*sigh* So is there no chance that Bruce Timm will return to do more work in the DCAU?

Who said that? [Smile]

Bruce Timm is producing the Superman/Doomsday animated movie. He has also confirmed that he'll be involved in the upcoming New Frontier and Judas Contract animated movies in some way.

He teased that there was other stuff in the pipeline, but that it's too early to discuss. Yet.

Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, there are two versions of the "Return of the Joker" movie. One with the "graphic content" censored, and the other uncut.
Oh yes, and I definately recommend the uncut version, it is awesome.

At Comic Con, Timm did reveal that he will be working on the "Death of Superman" animated movie, so thats something incredible to look forward too. But for me, Batman is always the greatest character, and though I prefer Marvel to DC, my favorite is Batman.

quote:
My first impressions of Batman were of a very rich and angry man. I found that universe too dark and foreign. In the few incarnations that I've been exposed to, I did like Robin's character. He had emotions and motivations that I felt I could understand. Batman was just too distant of a character.
Yeah I can see that, but for me, I always related to him because he was human. He wasnt Superman, he didnt have super-strength, he was just a hero who went out and decided to help his fellow man. He was vulnerable, anytime he went out could be the last time, and in the end, that brought Batman to me. Good stuff...
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackblade, I like Iron Man, I get his series too, but a superpowered flying suit with all kinds of weaponary and computers built into it just isn't Batman.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The suit was not that 'superpowered'. It's difficult to estimate of course, but it didn't appear to put his strength at very much of a metahuman level, for one thing. Most of the weapons integrated into the suit were ones already being used by Batman previously. And as for computers, well ever since they've been in use computers and Batman have worked together.

'Isn't Batman'? What wouldn't be Batman would be Batman going about his bat-business in a world where even commonplace thugs and hoodlums stand a good chance of being seriously amped up with some sort of genetic or chemical treatments, which would put even Bruce Wayne at the top of his game on the lower-end of the spectrum in terms of strength, speed, agility, durability and stamina.

I mean, he just wouldn't do it. You can't have a Batman in a world that far into the future, without that sort of technology, without having something like the new Batsuit...or without Batman undergoing genetic/chemical treatment of his own, and I think that's even less likely. Bruce Wayne certainly wouldn't.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

To add to Rakeesh's point, there is an episode in which Terry defeats the Bat Suit when it's controlled by a villain. So just because he has it doesn't mean he needs it.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
*sigh* So is there no chance that Bruce Timm will return to do more work in the DCAU?

Who said that? [Smile]

Bruce Timm is producing the Superman/Doomsday animated movie. He has also confirmed that he'll be involved in the upcoming New Frontier and Judas Contract animated movies in some way.

He teased that there was other stuff in the pipeline, but that it's too early to discuss. Yet.

Oh, okay. For some reason I assumed that the 15 year tribute thing was a sign that he was retiring or something.

Doing a Death of Superman movie sounds cool, but I wish he would do a Knightfall one too. I recently read the novelization of that story arc. I'd like to see Timm's version of Jean Paul Valley's Batman.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.