FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fiction our leaders should read.

Author Topic: Fiction our leaders should read.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the obvious--Ender's Game.

I just finished "Armagedon" by Leon Uris. No, its not a biblical epic. Its about how we took a conquered Germany and turned it into an ally--specifically the early years.

This book is a good 20 years old or more. I reading a used copy, which means it should have no signifigance for today's leaders. That is wrong.

It discusses the political planning done by the armed forces to create a stable government in every city we conquered. Were such units even considered for Iraq? It discusses how quickly the American public wanted to finish fighting and get the troops home, which would have resulted in the entire loss of Europe to the Soviet Union.

It discusses the pressure one Major was under to do acts and enforce policy that was against everything he believed the US stood for.

It discusses the plots and political machinations used by the Soviets to undermine the "Western" attempts at rebuilding Germany--many of which are being copied by Sadr and others in Iraq, and their leaders in Iran, Syria, and Saudi Arabia.

Its not a great book. Two characters die only to make sure we have a sad ending to the book.

However the tie in to today's politics kept me turning pages.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I read your title more as if Yoda had spoken it... : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.