FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why the music?

Author Topic: Why the music?
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually experience vivid dreams. Heck, I even dream in color. Sound isn't unusual, either. I'll hear voices, of course, and some other environment noises in my dreams. Every morning, I can remember the dream of the night before, but the memory usually fades within a day or two. I do carry many memories of vivid dreams from the past.

I'm puzzled by my dream last night. I specifically remember music, more specifically, a song I heard during the afternoon. And I would swear, my brain played back the entire song, word for word, during the dream. [Eek!] Ok, so I've heard the song before...it's not in my Top 10, either.

My most vivid, memorable dreams never included music before this. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to label the visual details as "vivid" because even now, the memory is starting to fade. Specifically, in the dream, my sister kept turning the music off. She and I have slightly different tastes, so I know what the dream represents, sub-consciously: the clash of her music tastes and mine. Again, the visual details and theme of the dream aren't remarkable. I won't remember this detail for long.

Why the music, particularly since music rarely featured in my dreams before?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What song was it?
I've had several dreams in which some music I was listening to ended up in the dream. Once I had a dream in which some guy that looked like Eminem was discussing gay marriage on the platform of the North Quincy station with me. It turned out I was listening to NPR, other stuff from it got into the dream.
Oh, yeah, they were talking about the world cup and I dreamed about some guy talking about the world cup and televisions were sticking to people's houses so people walking by can watch.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Sorry, I left out one detail that's potentially confusing: I don't sleep with any music playing.

The song was...Pete Yorn, Crystal Village. I had to look up the lyrics to be sure.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was studying a Brahms symphony rather intensely, it played back in a dream I had one night, full orchestra and everything. Very strange.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember I ever had a single dream in my life with music in it. Very strange, because I love music, listening as well as playing.
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a few nightmares I had where the principle antagonists had their own cues ala Warner Bros. cartoons. Mainly rhythms more than music, so I don't know if that counts anymore.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only had one "vivid dream" About 20 years ago I dreamed that my father was still alive, and I was living in my childhood house. Everything about it was accuarate, as far as I can tell, including his voice. As the dream ended, he began singing "Irene Goodnight" but didn't finish singing it. Either the dream ended, or I woke up.

Some time later I told a friend about it, because it's unusual for me to remember my dreams at all, much less have such a vivid one. When I said that I wondered why such a dream would include that song he started laughing because it was so obvious.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Well, no music in my dream from last night. Instead, I was taking a large math test, about 90 pages long. Front and back stapled together. [Smile]

I woke up feeling like I could've used an extra hour. [Sleep]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.