FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bell, Book and Candle

Author Topic: Bell, Book and Candle
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
So, a new version of the play best known as a 1958 Kim Novak and Jimmy Stewart film is in the works.

Question: Since it was originally a stage play, can the roles truly be said to "originate" with Novak and Stewart?

Hmmm.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on what you mean by "originate" or why that should be significant. Technically the roles originate on the page and in the writer's mind. But I think it is fair to say that the Kim Novak and Jimmie Stewart portrayals represent the first definitive, and best known, versions of the characters. They own those roles now, regardless of whoever before played the parts on stage. Any remake will necessarily be judged relative to them, and in my book I can't think of another actress working today that could hold a candle (or a bell or a book) to Kim Novak in that movie.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.