FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am depressed *Shadow of the Giant spoilers*

Author Topic: I am depressed *Shadow of the Giant spoilers*
WakoJako
Member # 9569

- posted      Profile for WakoJako           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea where to post this. I think here is fine, since this is the "books" forum. I've only just recently discovered this site.
Anyways, at the end of Shadow of the Giant we find Bean in space travelling at the speed of light, and a lonely 70-something year old Petra getting ready to die. Is it just me, or is this slightly anti-climactic and lame?! I mean the two characters are built up, and OSC goes to lengths to describe their love for each other or whatever, and then just kinda... kills it. Nothing I hate more than devoting myself to a series only to find that the author ends it on such a sad note.
Now what I'm thinking is, in Flight of Shadows, or Shadows in Flight(I forget what its gonna be called), Petra somehow returns to life to live with Bean, who has somehow found a cure for his condition. Peter somehow came back in Xenocide right?
I would hate to learn that OSC developped Petra's character only to let her dissapear like that, or that he devoted a series to Bean only to let his life end in such a pathetic way. Maybe i'm kinda sentimental and too attached to the characters, but I do read science fiction to get my daily dose of escapism, after all.

[ July 14, 2006, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Is your name a reference to the song by Zombie Gutz?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! You might get more responses on the other side. You also might want to put a spoiler warning in your title. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakoJako
Member # 9569

- posted      Profile for WakoJako           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, yeah, definately put a spoiler warning in there. Not that I haven't read it, but I would be pretty mad if I hadn't.

But yeah, welcome to Hatrack, and while I was a bit depressed by the ending of SotG, I was also very satisfied with it, oddly enough. It didn't work out the way I would've wanted it to, but then that's why I love OSC - his idea's of where a story should go rarely meet with mine, and are almost always 10 times better!

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.