FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Devil Wears Prada

Author Topic: The Devil Wears Prada
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I know even less about the world of fashion than Anne Hathaway's character did.

I've never read the book the film is based on.

Still, this was fairly entertaining. It's a reverse Cinderella story: Streep's character gradually changes Hathaway into a wicked step-sister type.

There's only two brief moments when Streep is not portrayed as the Boss From Hell, so one can only conclude that the shallow, mean-spirited life-style Hathaway's character gets indoctrinated and addicted to was innately appealing to her all along. Despite her numerous protests to the contrary, she revels in the world of Runway after token protest. The last-minute repentence of Anne's character, as well as the final sympathetic moment for the otherwise despicable Streep character felt forced.

That said, the performances were entertaining. The film was laugh-out-loud funny at times. And the clothes looked pretty.

[ July 13, 2006, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it the third. It's ok, just not what I thought it could have been. But then I can't explain what I think could have been better from it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.