FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who do you trust? about OS or other nifty apps you like

Author Topic: Who do you trust? about OS or other nifty apps you like
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I was recommended a program called VELite. It creates a disposable OS on your computer so you can install programs, even ones with known spyware or viruses, and test them out. When you are done, you do a key combination and it resets your disposable OS. You can also switch between the disposable OS and your regular OS.

Cool idea. I checked out the product’s website and it’s download.com site and was unimpressed by how many people have tried it. It must be really new or really bad. What drew my attention most was the blurb about the author:
quote:
The entrepreneur of the VE technology and the VELite product and concept is an ex-hacker, who later headed the Anti-Cyber Crime and Anti-Cyber-Terror in the Israeli Defense Forces with rich experience in national surveillance systems.

Do I really want to install something from someone who was a hacker and has rich experience in national surveillance systems?

Too bad I don't have a program that acts as a disposable OS so I could try VELite. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a virtual machine. There are lots of VM products out there.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Which are the ones that you trust--on a lower budget? It is not worth more the $50 to me because I don't do serious testing. I just like to dink around some on the computer.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.