FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What else am I?

Author Topic: What else am I?
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
The list of all the things I have been called goes something like this:

• idiot
  • naif
  • hypocrite
  • anti-Semite
  • anti-Christian
  • anti-American
  • moraly relativist (this is a bad thing)
  • moraly absolute (this is also a bad thing)
  • "Culturaly Nihilistic" (this is a very bad thing, but I have no idea what it means.)

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*delicately* whiny...?

I'm mostly kidding - outside of this thread and the today's moderate thread, I can't place you. It is the perfect opening, though.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "desperately attention-seeking"?

That's what springs to mind when reading this thread.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought "supremely self-interested."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Young. I don't know if you are in fact an early teenager or not, but that's what I would guess. It's okay, you'll grow out of it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

As a minor note, there's "unable to spell 'morally'".
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Bitter?
Insecure?
Attention-seeking?
New to the idea of the internet and/or forums?

Either that, or a highschool student. Probably a smarter than average highschool student, but still underequipped for dealing with the real world. You have opinions, probably more than a few well-formed ones, and you stand by them. But given that Hatrack (and the world) is not one-sided, you shouldn't be surprised at being accused of the above epithets. If you stand by your opinions, convictions and beliefs, you will inevitably be confronted for them. To quote Eddings, "Any jackass can go through life without offending people."

One of the greatest lessons Hatrack taught me is how extensive our spheres of subjectivity are, how widely those spheres can differ between individuals, and how completely incomprehensible some of those spheres will have to remain.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
katharina, Xavie, Tom: I might agree were not these accusations all terribly serious in their scope, albeit absurd in actuality.

ElJay, I am seventeen, hardly "an early teenager."

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
To try and keep things light-hearted...

Count your blessings, you haven't been called Hitler...yet...

Hey, I tried.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Seventeen is young, 20 is young, you're young.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

You're actually younger than I thought you were.

I take back the "whiny" and replace it with "very young." Our statements can still be true, but they are modified because those characteristics are normal for your development stage.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that the older you get, the older the age range that you consider 'young'.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I personally think that the older you get, the older the age range that you consider 'young'.

Inevitably.

It makes me sad that I now look at 18 year old girls as typically being too young to date. [Frown]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait till you start thinking college girls are too young to date.

Oh man, that was a sad day.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

JT, you're 24, right? I didn't know you were there already. That still seems like it would be okay to me, probably because I was still in college at 24. *muses*
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Wait till you start thinking college girls are too young to date.
That one actually happened to me last year (when I was 21), but was based more on attitude, lifestyle and maturity than age.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that you consider people calling you names and criticizing your politics (I'm guessing that's what happened due to the terms you used) "all terribly serious in their scope, albeit absurd in actuality," I'd say Tom's label of 'supremely self-interested' coupled with the 'young' labels are very suitable.

Seriously. You've started a thread in which everyone must talk about you in order to stay on topic.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
katharina, Xavie, Tom: I might agree were not these accusations all terribly serious in their scope, albeit absurd in actuality.

Yeah, but you have to take into account who made most of them. Unless I'm mistaken, most came from starLisa, who has a tendancy to throw names around in all seriousness that most rational people consider absurd.

quote:
*shrug* I was guessing based on this thread and the posts you've made that I've noticed. So I was three years off? That's pretty close.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I know! When we should be talking about me.

I cut off two inches and dyed my hair bright red over the weekend.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Oooh, do we get pictures?
katharina
Member # 827

Let me try...
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The important question is, do I get pictures? [Razz]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
JT, you're 24, right?
*hugs kat*

I'm 26, but I much appreciate the extra years. I was 24 when I graduated, and I was definitely leaning towards the 'college girls are too young' camp then.

But now I'm firmly entrenched.

katharina
Member # 827

[Smile]

I have a couple taken with my camera phone, but I can't figure out how to get it off the camera phone and to an e-mail, where I could upload it. If anyone knows and tells me, I can put up a picture. I haven't had red hair for ages, and I'd forgotten how much I loved it.

Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is funny.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I personally have found that coffee does NOT work anymore for me as it used to work. I drink it, with no noticable effect on my energy levels. I find that somewhat depressing of a fact.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If your camera phone and your computer have bluetooth, you should be able to transfer the photos that way, but I don't know any details of how to get that working unless you're using a mac.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That was marvelously unhelpful, fugu.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The most common ways are to either send the picture to your email account from your phone (similar to a text message on most phones), or use whatever cable came with your phone to download it.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Pelegius, you left one off your list:
  • pretentious

Just repeating what Angiomorphism called you on the moderate thread.
I haven't focused on your posts enough to form an opinion on that, or your other traits.

However, since you asked. . . making this thread, and leaving "pretentious" off your list, even though it was just yesterday, I would guess that you don't take criticism well.

I don't as well, though I'm better at it then when I was younger.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, I have one. <insert all disclaimers here> It isn't what I'd like to look like to have pictures taken - my hair was not flat this morning - but you can see the red.

http://www.pilkingtonsonline.com/NonSite%20images/red%20hair.JPG

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* I figured you could both check if your phone had such capabilities and also use the manual if it did.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You look adorable, Katie. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oooh, very fetching. I like that length on you, too.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm 26, but I much appreciate the extra years. I was 24 when I graduated, and I was definitely leaning towards the 'college girls are too young' camp then.
Heck, I'm five years younger, just graduated, and already feel like that. It's pretty scary, cause I haven't entered the Real World yet, so am just floating around in purgatory [Smile]

Phanto - that is the saddest thing I've ever read.

kat - I love the color, it's a hard one to pull off and it really suits you!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Pelegius, you got dobied twice that I can see. Congratulations! And by the way, though I haven't been on here much and haven't read any of the recent threads, from what I've read of you previously, I would call you "articulate", just to throw a positive one in there.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:

Ha, being called an idiot is not an accusation. If that's on the list of the worst things someone has called you, then you live a charmed life. No, I think these are the things that have bothered you for some reason, or which you recognized as having some believability or weight with other people.

I wouldn't freak out if someone said I was a baby-killing alien from an evil galaxy, because that's just not accurate. But, if someone called me narrow minded for instance, I would recognize the grain of truth in it, and it would bother me that I might not have enough insight about myself to have realized it before.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Okay, I have one. <insert all disclaimers here> It isn't what I'd like to look like to have pictures taken - my hair was not flat this morning - but you can see the red.

http://www.pilkingtonsonline.com/NonSite%20images/red%20hair.JPG

Oh my! Adorable!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Your hair looks great red, Katie!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, the haircut and dye really suit you. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*blush* Thanks. I love it. [Smile]
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
People are among the most interesting things around, and you are one of the few people you'll ever get to really understand. Thus... if you think being self-interested is something one should grow out of, then I think you are quite mistaken.

Well, unless you are old - then I still think you'd still be mistaken to believe that, but that particular mistake would be normal for your development stage. [Wink]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.