FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I now work in a Jewish Delli =) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I now work in a Jewish Delli =)
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its a smoked meat delli about 15 minutes from my home I'm going to be working about 4-5 days a week theyre really busy I just had my training session today and you know whats the best? I can listen to my Ipod while working [Cool]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
You spelled Deli wrong you goofball.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy! What exactly will you be doing there?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Mazel Tov on your 2000th post.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Being Blayne, he also spelled "laze about" wrong.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they give you free meat?
Free meat is cool.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

as supper yes, I help do general tasks, cleaning, cleaning dishes theyre going to train me on cooking stuff.

what did I spell wrong ???

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Deli is spelled with one "l," not two.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

As in Delicious, Delicacy, Delightful, and, um, Delicatessen.
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmm, assorted meats and breads.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on being gainfully employed, and syn is right about free meat being sweet.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Blayne! Hope you like working there.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a hot pastrami on rye with swiss and a little mustard.

Oh...yum...

You have my dream job.

When you go to NYC, visit Zabars. You can talk turkey with them.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:

Blasphemy!
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:

Blasphemy!
[ROFL]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
He gets all the leftover pork, I'm sure.

Of course, you could just bring in Cajun cooking for lunch (shellfish and pork, mmmmm).

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I remember my sister making a corned beef sandwich on Wonder Bread, with mayonnaise. My father just stared at her, and announced that her father must have been the mailman.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! You work at a Delli!

/obvious

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:

I remember my sister making a corned beef sandwich on Wonder Bread, with mayonnaise. My father just stared at her, and announced that her father must have been the mailman.
im assuming you and Tante are refering to Pork being against your religion??? I'm just making a wild geuss of what your talking about.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh dear.

We are laughing at Bob because in the Kosher tradition, it is forbidden to eat meat and milk foods together. So it would be a faux pas to ask for a pastrami with Swiss.

Oh, you'll learn! Have a great summer.

And, oh yeah, the chopped liver is supposed to look like that.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

hmm liver *drool*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Please, don't drool on the liver. [No No]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or do, so none of the rest of us have to eat it!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

now now you dont have to it if you dont want to, especially the liver i work so hard to prepare *sniff* [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good. *promptly ignores liver*

(Guilt trips do not work on me! Haha! Okay, at least not coming from teenage boys.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Tante's talking about the milk'n'meat thing; StarLisa's added another issue. There's nothing unkosher about corned beef and mayo on sandwich bread from a strict religious standpoint; it's just Bad and Wrong and makes me shudder. Corned beef is meant to be served on rye. A club roll is an acceptable, if lesser, alternative. No mayo. Mustard would be more canonical, with a pickle on the side, though I prefer to skip those. The meat is to be stacked high. Cut in half, serve with seltzer, and enjoy.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Shmuel, a kaiser roll (bulky roll) is as good as rye bread. My favorite deli sandwich is roast beef and tongue on a kaiser with brown mustard. Served hot, but not too hot. And I'll take a Coke over seltzer any day. Pickles aren't my thing, either, but the presence of a pickle improves the ambience. <grin>

Mayonnaise is goyish, as Lenny Bruce may have said. So is Wonder Bread.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to ask if you could get a hot ham and cheese on a bagel...but that joke is wasted. [Grumble]
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. Mayo isn't goyish; it's Yekkish. (They even serve it with gefilte fish, alongside the chrain!)

(That sentence almost gave my spellcheck heart failure. [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I like my corned beef with kraut.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Ick. Mayo is the worst crime ever committed by Napoleon Bonaparte.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Mayo is not fit for human consumption.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Mayo is divine.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
To my non-kosher friends:

If you can find GREAT pastrami, and have it on rye with mustard and melted swiss cheese, you will experience the truly transcendent sandwich creation. The best pastrami comes from Jewish delis. Most of the ones that serve goyim customers not only make this sandwich, but they usually have a name for it on their menu. I'm hoping one of them will name it after me someday.

to my friends who keep kosher:

You aren't missing anything without the cheese. Really. nothing at all. Don't even worry about it. If anything, you get a bit more pastrami on your sandwich than I do, and that really cheeses me off!

to everyone else:

Who cares what you think!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree regarding the eminent suitability of a kaiser roll. And, truth be told, I generally prefer Diet Pepsi to seltzer... but from a traditional standpoint, you'd have to go with Dr. Brown's. And I'm in complete agreement with Lisa on the mayo.

(I'd make a joke about the common theme of "Yekkish" and "kraut" in consecutive posts, but then I'd have to explain it...)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried it, but Galaxy makes a kosher soy-based Swiss cheese. Might be worth getting some to try making a corned beef and swiss cheese sandwich.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

But I doubt it. [Razz]
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
True, I still have nightmares about the time I tried parve pepperoni.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, yes. That stuff is foul.

Pastrami is sublime when it is cut into chunks and cooked in the cholent. Brilliant!

I will save the cheese for non-deli meals.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, and by the way...

Hiya Chanie! [Wave] Welcome aboard! Will we be seeing you outside of Jewish Delli threads?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I like my corned beef with boiled potatoes, cabbage, and carrots. [Razz]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

That's good, too.

Try making the cabbage into cole slaw instead of boiling it soggy. Even better!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't boil it soggy; I boil it crisp. I only put it in for the last few minutes, usually (although cabbage is one of those veggies, like cauliflower, that if you overcook it it just melts like butter and is good that way, too.)
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband cooks the corned beef in his cast iron dutch oven and then bakes the potatoes and carrots in the juice. Has a strong but DELICIOUS flavor. One of my favorite meals.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I also saw mention of beef tongue. I will say that good beef tongue also makes for a delightful sandwich.

Yum!

Oh, and matzoh ball soup is pretty darn tasty too.

But please, don't make me drink Cel-Ray soda. [Eek!]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Hiya Chanie! [Wave] Welcome aboard!

What she said! [Smile] Bruchim ha'ba'im! [Smile]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

they also serve Matzoh ball soup as well.

I prefer this dark herry flavoured softdrink we have its amazing.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
I prefer this dark herry flavoured softdrink we have its amazing.
I'm hoping that's a misspelling of the word "cherry" and not of the word "hairy"
rivka
Member # 4859

Or worse, herring! *turns green*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.