FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush jogs with wounded soldier

Author Topic: Bush jogs with wounded soldier
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush jogs with wounded soldier

I know we’ve seen this before, but this one is a double amputee. Wow…. Just amazing. I didn’t know this was possible.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I have few positive things to say about Bush, and this could obviously be just a PR stunt, but even so, I liked this story. President making good on a fleeting promise to a soldier is a good thing.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Good of the President.

As much as I think he's a douchebag a lot of the time, that was a real good thing of him to do, and I'm sure it meant the world to that soldier. PR stunt or not, it was cool of him.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Ok ok, forget the President was there…..
Did you see the dude with no feet?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Ok ok, forget the President was there…..
Did you see the dude with no feet?

Sorry, that part didn't really catch my attention because it's nothing new - the technology making this possible has been around for a while.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Sigh…. I really need to make another id for this sort of stuff…..

It’s a double amputee! Sure the running foot has been around for a bit, but how many doubles have you seen?

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Now just imagine the double amputee sitting at home reading this and crying becuase of what you did.

Insensitive... mutter, mutter...

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a boy in my sixth grade class who was a double amputee, and was looking to be fitted with running legs. I wonder what ever came of him.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a female double amputee finish an Ironman Triathalon, actually. I agree that the technology is really neat. Watching her run was extremely impressive.

I'm glad this man seems to have a great attitude about recover, and hope he continues to do well.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Sigh…. I really need to make another id for this sort of stuff…..

It’s a double amputee! Sure the running foot has been around for a bit, but how many doubles have you seen?

Enough that I no longer go "Wow!" when I see them, I guess.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a few, Jay, but that is still cool.

So is the fact that Bush followed up on his promise to this soldier, even if it gets him press. At this point in his Presidency I doubt it was for the press. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
The man still has to worry about history shaking it's finger him for the next......rest of history.

Edited for content

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be more impressed if they found an effective way to replace missing arms and hands. I WANT MY ROBOTIC STEEL CRUSHING HANDS!

But Ill have to agree with ELJay, building up the desire to run again is a huge challenge for even one leg. Many people would be content to just collapse into a wheelchair (electric for the especially lazy) and call it a life.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(electric for the especially lazy)
Harsh critisism from someone with two legs.

"A parapalegic with an electric wheelchair?! Lazy bastard! Get a job!"

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The man still has to worry about history shaking it's finger him for the next......rest of history
No matter who was president and what they did, historians still would have shaken their finger at that person before long.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
quote:
(electric for the especially lazy)
Harsh critisism from someone with two legs.

"A parapalegic with an electric wheelchair?! Lazy bastard! Get a job!"

[Roll Eyes]

Sorry one trip to the monument section of DC scared the hell out of me. There were SO many old folks rolling around in electric wheel chairs and I swear I could see the devolution. It starts out as a walking cane, then you move on to a walker, then its a wheelchair (arm powered,)then you start letting people push you around, then its an electric powered moterized one, then you just stop leaving the house, then you are bed ridden, then you just can't be bothered to wake up one day.

Chalk it up to personal paranoia but if I am reduced to being unable to move on my own without assistance I will do everything I can to fight against it and get back on my own 2 feet.

My apologies if it seemed like I was saying that quadrapalegics or even parapalegics are lazy for using wheel chairs. I was focusing more on those who say lose a leg. In the case of paralysis, rehabilitation is not always possible, and most do not want to have their leg hacked off and replaced with a prosthetic. Interestingly enough I HAVE seen stories on TV of people who lost the use of a leg, and had them hacked off so that they could be replaced with a prosthetic.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.