FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Firefly Eve!

Author Topic: Happy Firefly Eve!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, its not Serenity Day.

Last evening I stepped outside to do some yardwork when I was amazed by the number of lightning bugs floating gracefully over my yard.

This evening I allowed Sasha to stay up extra late just so he could have his first firefly experience. I wish I could have gotten a good photo of him, as he sat on the wooden airplane swing his great grandfather had made, swinging slowly with a great grin on his mouth, while fireflies danced and flashed all around him.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Fireflies. I haven't seen them in ages.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't ever seen a firefly.

Yeah, I know, I need to get out more. Growing up on the west coast has certain disadvantages.

What do they look like? The seem to be common enough that nobody bothers to take pictures of them.

[ June 24, 2006, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Palliard ]

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw some today too, for the first time this year. [Smile] I grew up in Texas, so seeing them is always a real treat for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly

Really, all you see are these little yellow flashes in the dusk, Palliard, about 1-3 feet off the ground.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Partly because of the difficulty involved in taking pictures of them.

a picture

The white specks are fireflies.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I love fireflies. They come out in force during the Summer here. I was over at my best friend's house the other night and a small swarm of them settled over the hot tub we were in. Made for some really cool mood lighting.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, fireflies were one of the coolest things about Nebraska. Coming from California, I had never seen them before, so for the first few minutes I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, because I kept catching little flashes off to the side.

I'll stick with CA, but it would be nice if there were fireflies here.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Palliard, do you have box elder bugs where you are? They kinda look like those, but they don't have the same annoying habits. And they have a pretty glowy light on their bottoms that slowly blinks on and off as they fly in the night--they are so beautiful and magical! That wiki picture was a little creepy-- here's another image, and another .

They're fun to catch and release--they will light up in your hand while you hold them. I think there were more of them when I was a child than there are now, but that could just be that I spent more time playing outdoors in the evening.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
None of these pictures catch the magic that is lightning bugs. (We don't call them fireflies here.)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Some say, for every lighting bug you catch and set free, a wish comes true.

Palliard, imagine sitting outside on a dark night. Suddenly, a yellow light flashes. Then another! And another! You walk over and one flashes right in front of you. You catch it. When you open your hands, a little bug is inside. It flies up and flashes a light on it's tail. All around you, lightning bugs flash. Slowly, but they seem to dance.

We call them fireflies and lighning bugs here. Usually lightning bugs though.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.