FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HHGTTG RPG (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HHGTTG RPG
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
The first computer thread got me thinking: there was a game we used to play that I could never get past the first scene of, but loved to play. Now I know it was based on the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but at the time I had no idea what was going on.

It was one of those old RPGs that only had text, and you typed in your commands. Anyways, I could never ever pass the first part because who in the hell would guess that you were supposed to lie down in front of the tractor. Not me anyways. I died over and over again, but never-the-less, I loved it.

Now I want to find it again. I tried googling and the massive hits I got were too terribly disconcerting, so I figured I would put it to hatrack.

Does anyone know where I could find this game? Or a good database that I could search?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That game was by Infocom.

Their first game series, Zork, is available free at http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html

The only way to get HHGTTG now is someplace like ebay or as part of a collection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000051ZT0/002-7044044-1036838?v=glance&n=468642

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably thinking of the Infocom game.

[Edit -- I have no excuse except that I'm slow. Though Hatrack was flipping out a tiny bit.]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it a bulldozer? W/e
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Why bother? Go here and play it online.

WARNNG! This will suck hours away from your life and utterly ruin any workplace productivity.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Yay! Thank you thank you thank you! (Specifically Chris, but Papa and Dag for great info)

You do not know how happy this makes me.

And bulldozers are tractors.

I will now spend absolutely all of my time at work playing this game until I get fired for it.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the fact that I can look at a 9-letter acronym and know exactly what it means instantly. I feel very cultured.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Eek! Not again, I spent hours on this and I never could get past the vogon ship, dispite the fact that I used a guide at times.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you use THE Guide? Because it helps.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the original "Adventure" available online anywhere?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear...clearly, the Hitchhhiker game is going to be my gateway drug for RPGs. Curse you! *shakes fist* Curse you all!
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Link to the original Invisiclues for when you get stuck.

(Maybe you won't... but the HHGTTG adventure game has some VERY lateral thinking problems in it...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trapped in the pub. &#$*(^@#!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
how do you get the babel fish
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I remember scratching around trying to figure out how to get a Babel Fish, that really stretched my gaming awareness.

I haven't regretted that since. That sort of thinking has saved me from one or two nasty situations since then.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for your insight. now can you tell me how to get the fish?
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Ah, I was trying too hard to follow the book. No peanuts for me! I guess now I will die of matter transference. [Frown]
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmff. Impatient young 'uns.

See, back in the '80s when text adventures first came out, the playing style was that you'd play one for a while, you'd get stuck... and then you'd let your subconscious work on things for a while before you tried again. (And then, if you were REALLY desperate to figure out an adventure, you'd buy the Invisiclues hints booklet to figure it out.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Hey! I'll have you know that I'm aggressively ignoring those hints, tempting though they be!

(and I'm stuck on earth. Dead. With the thumb on the ground. Maybe I should do something with my screwdriver or pocket lint. Hmm. Or maybe I should concentrate a bit more on my paper.

All right. Pocket lint it is. Chris, you weren't wrong with that warning o' yours. [Grumble]

[Smile] )

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

I am earthbound and grumpy. stupid wind. and I can't steal Prosser's digital watch, which probably would do nothing, but would give me satisfaction.
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Not fair! Arthur would never do a thing like that! Also, 4 pages worth of my paper!

(Because I needed more escapism in my life...)

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I tell you what - when I was 6, I got frustrated to the point of tears because the bulldozer always killed me. I had no idea what to do.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't IMAGINE reading a walkthrough of the Babel Fish puzzle. It's one of the greatest puzzles of ALL FREAKIN' TIME.

Resorting to a walkthrough for that puzzle is literally denying yourself the pleasure of what is, for many gamers, one of the most memorable game experiences EVER. It'd be like reading a walkthrough for how to get the security card in Planetfall.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Great. I needed a little down-time for my brain and now I'm stuck blowing myself up trying to get the plotter. It *said* I needed to type in the second word of the second verse of the captain's current favorite poem, but that isn't working. [Grumble] [Wall Bash]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
It can be done. It took a while for me to figure it out, but I did.

Of course, now (well, now = several hours ago because I play in spurts) I'm stuck in the dark again and have no idea what to do.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wait. I think I see your problem. As with most thing -- the best thing to do might be to try going back over the process -- what you have done, what it said to do, etc. ;-)
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Have you gotten to the second verse of the captain's favorite poem?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not then?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
-tell prosser to stop bulldozing your house.
-Looking confused, Mr. Prosser says, "I don't see any bulldozing your house here!"

I'm having a hard time here. The farthest I've gotten so far is to the bar, where I got really drunk and told lots of good stories and died. Ah well, I have 8 hours to kill, and I'm sure my boss doesn't want me to do any work today.
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
When will you come to your senses and solve this puzzle?
Ok, now the game is insulting me. I'm stuck in the dark on the vogon ship.

I don't want to use the Invisclues, because that would be like cheating, but this is getting rather frustrating.

Edit:
quote:
4 out of 5 sensitive people solve this puzzle right away.
Again with the insults.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

In the game's defense, it's NOT a particularly hard puzzle. [Smile]
vonk
Member # 9027

*stuggling valiently not to say something that will get me banned*
vonk
Member # 9027

Ok, am I supposed to do anything to help me in the dark before I push the green button.
vonk
Member # 9027

GAH! Stupid stupid stupid [Wall Bash]

I am an idiot!

(finally got it)

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
That game is such a joy. If you want to win really quick, type in escape and see what happens.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you may want to remember is that the game's insults often contain clues as to how to solve the puzzle. For example, the 4 out of 5 sensitive people comment has two clues stuck right in it.

Also, save your game. Save it often. Save it now. This ain't one of your namby pamby point and click adventure games where as long as you get from one stage to the next, you're doing fine. There are a bunch of places where something you didn't do earlier on in the game is going to make your present task impossible. Also, one of the central transportation puzzle jump off points has a randomized destination and I think at least one of them kills you if you go there twice.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I credit Infocom games for teaching me to read very, very carefully as a young child. [Smile]
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
For example, the 4 out of 5 sensitive people comment has two clues stuck right in it.
Yeah, it took me far to long to figure that one out. But eventually it clicked.

Now I'm trying to keep the upper-half of the room cleaning robot from taking my babel fish.

I love this game.

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

quote:
There are a bunch of places where something you didn't do earlier on in the game is going to make your present task impossible.
So what you're telling me is that having failed to get the Babel Fish, but arriving safely at the Heart of Gold anyway means that, in fact, I am screwed. Yay! [Smile]
vonk
Member # 9027

So not only do you have to save often, but you have to change the name of your saved game every time so that you can go back to each step if you need to?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
You kids, without your experience playing Text Adventure games. Yes, save your games with different names that describe the state of things at that time.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You don't technically need the Babel fish to proceed, but you DO need the atomic vector plotter. If you arrive at the Heart of Gold without it, you'll find out eventually that you can't go on.

(And note: since you need the Babel fish to get the vector plotter, you need the Babel fish. Preferably before the Vogon captain calls you in.)

---------

You know, I look back at certain adventure games and wonder how we -- a people now spoiled by the inability to actually LOSE our adventure games, thanks to the fact that almost all bad decisions have no real consequences in such games nowadays -- would have reacted to them were they released today.

Consider Starcross, where you wouldn't discover until the LAST TWENTY TURNS of the game that using the gun for any other purpose -- ever, even once -- made it impossible to win. So then you had to replay the whole game and look for alternate solutions to the puzzles you used the gun to "win." All three of the Zork games had "tricks" like this that'd force you to replay -- and all three also included time-limiters (in the form of the lamp) that prevented you from dawdling.

In Enchanter, I vividly remember not being able to figure out how to get the sacrificial knife (to cut the gordian knot) because I frotzed myself early in the game, and thus -- having never wandered around in the dark -- never noticed the faint glow behind the painting. But by that time, I was smart enough never to use the "swiss army knife" Dispel Magic scroll, because I'd learned that any time you found something that was universally useful, you'd only ever get one of it and it would be required in the endgame. [Smile] I was about 13 years old, and I wrote to Infocom's offices demanding some solution. I got a reply back from Steve Meretsky, actually, that consisted entirely of "you frotzed yourself, didn't you?"

[ June 09, 2006, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

I got exploded by the glass case. Then the Vogons came. [Frown]
vonk
Member # 9027

Me too. Apparently breaking the glass is not how you get the atomic vector plotter. Blasted cleaning robots, I'll get you!
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Hey! Maybe I should take my mail with me and try plugging the hole with that ! I wonder if I can do anything with the hook. Maybe I should buy another cheese sandwich and stuff it into the hole.

Or stab Ford with the screwdriver until he wakes up. [Big Grin]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yes, take the junk mail.
Take EVERYTHING.

I cannot stress this enough.
In this game, as in almost all Infocom games, TAKE EVERYTHING.

And it's even more important in this game than most. Because -- and I'm going to save you some agony here -- there is a puzzle at the end which randomly selects from all the items of a certain type in order to determine which is required for its solution. Unless you failed to pick one or more of them up, in which case it selects only from the list of items of that type you DIDN'T pick up. [Smile]

vonk
Member # 9027

So your saying I have to start all over and get the mail? How do you know what all you should get? It keeps mentioning Prosser's watch, so should I try to take it?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You can TRY to take Prosser's watch. I recommend the attempt. But it's not possible. [Smile]
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

OKAY. DAMN BABEL FISH, LET ME GET YOU AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I even tried to pick up Dentrassi underwear to plug the hole. I *fail*. I am going to check the clues now. *hangs head in shame*

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

I showed powerful restraint and did NOT get all the answers. That said

I HATE THE WORLD!

[Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.