FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mãezinha -- question about a naming custom

Author Topic: Mãezinha -- question about a naming custom
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a question I ran into in Mozambique, where the national language is Portuguese, a few years ago. Something I read today reminded me of this, and since I know there are some Portuguese speakers here I thought I'd ask about it.

Mãezinha means mommy, more or less--mãe meaning mother, and zinha being the diminutive ending.

In Mozambique, I came across a number of little children called Mãezinha. I finally asked a woman why, and she told me it is a nickname that is given when a girl child is named after her grandmother. She told me that just as it's disrespectful to call your mother by her first name, it would be disrespectful to run around after your child calling her by your mother's first name. So the family calls such children "Mãe" or "Mãezinha" out of respect to the grandmother she's named after. The woman I spoke with was rather astounded that we would be crass enough to call our children our mothers' names and use that name in everyday life.

I never ran into any children called "Pai" or "Paizinho," so as far as I know the custom doesn't apply to male children, but I could be wrong about that, my experience was rather limited.

Anyway, I thought that was a rather interesting and sweet custom, one I'd never encountered in Portugal, where I learned Portuguese. I was just wondering if this is strictly an African custom, or if any Portuguese speakers are familiar with it from other places? Is it perhaps prevalent in other languages/cultures and I'd just never heard of it before?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.