FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dental Health and Heart Health

Author Topic: Dental Health and Heart Health
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hearing that the two are directly related. Does anyone have a good, readable-by-layperson link for this? Or an explanation?

Another question:

If this is so, how would a young child, whose baby teeth have rotted(sad, I know) be affected? In other words, would their heart be in danger? What will happen to their second teeth as a result? Or is the "They are just the baby teeth, and they will just fall out anyway" approach a safe one to take?

I also heard a fact that people with good dental hygiene live longer(like 15 years, I think) than those with poor dental hygiene.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Introductory article.

I do know that people who have had or are having open hear surgery have to get their dental work done with particular precautions and that dental hygiene is considered part of the necessary ongoing care.

Lewis Grizzard writes about is experiences with that in one of his books.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading about this recently, and really hate the implications because I'm at risk for periodontal disease. If I'd have understood the correlation between heart and gum disease when I was younger, I probably would have gone ahead with the orthodonture and maxillofacial surgery I need to correct my bite. I was just too big of a wimp to put myself through that--braces, then surgery to break my jaw and reconstruct it, then more braces after the jaw healed. Here's another link; doesn't look like it's as reliable a source as the previous one, but links to a lot of studies.

(I won't get into the orthodontist who put me through years of braces as a kid only to tell us afterwards that I needed the surgery. Grrr.)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Uprooted, I think it means more bacterial dental care, doesn;t it?

I am sorry for your situation. My daughter is just starting to go through the braces stuff. She has a cross bite, and would have been in your situation if we let it go much longer, poor gal. So, it makes the five thousand dollars worth every penny to know we are doing the right thing.

Thanks fo th links.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of stuff I read said periodontal disease has a high correlation w/ coronary disease, and a misaligned bite can cause periodontal disease (plus my mother had it). Good luck w/ your daughter's braces!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that while I'm going through chemo I'm not allowed to have any dental work unless it's an absolute emergency, and even then I'm to tell them my situation and take extreme precautions - I was told the dentist would need to call my oncologist and discuss any work with her.

I guess because of the high risk of infection? All I know is it's annoying, I have an old cracked filling that needs replacing. It's not bothering me now, that is, it's not hurting, but I keep running my tongue over the crack and it bugs me. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Eek. But if an infection in your mouth puts strain on your heart, that can't be good for your general cancer-fighting health.

My friend's brother is a dentist. She told me he is all about Listerine. Can you use Listerine, Belle? At least you would be able to keep the germs at bay.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There are also some interesting colloraltions bewteen plaque in your mouth and the plaque in your veins.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom always has to have penicillin if she gets anything done; she had rheumatic fever as a child.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.