FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Plankton causes ocean-floor earthquakes!

Author Topic: Plankton causes ocean-floor earthquakes!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true!

Must.
Eat.
Plankton!

quote:
Concentrations of the natural pigment chlorophyll in coastal waters have been shown to rise prior to earthquakes.

These chlorophyll increases are due to blooms of plankton, which use the pigment to convert solar energy to chemical energy via photosynthesis.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll need the marines to fish out this threat.

[Razz]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the article, it sounds to me more like the plankton blooms are an indication of a coming quake, not a cause of the quake.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the Krabby Patties. They want them. And when they don't get them... they get angry.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Tstorm, you krill me!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I KNEW IT! I've been sayin all along haven't I??????

[Eek!] [Eek!]

Damn you plankton!!!!!!!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
See? We really should be listening to the environazis. We could've been saving whales this whole time.

And I'd just to like to say, I consider this another example of the Bush administration's incompetence. Their lack of vision and leadership in combating the planktonic menace constitutes a gross executive failure. All that money that was used to bribe the rich and dumped into Iraq should have been going to fight the War on Phytoplankton.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Must.
Eat.
Plankton!

Whale just see about that.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Juxtapose,
I agree. This current administration's attention to environmental issues is but a drop in the ocean of what is needed. If we don't get a sea change soon, we'll be left adrift.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not Tetonic Shift, its Planktonic shifts.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who denies this is a bloomin' idiot!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'll see your [Wave] and raise you a [The Wave]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Juxtapose,
I agree. This current administration's attention to environmental issues is but a drop in the ocean of what is needed. If we don't get a sea change soon, we'll be left adrift.

We need to improve our funding for algaebra.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

We shore do. If enough of us carp about it, we can keep math illiteracy at bay.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

STOP THE PUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

[Eek!] [Mad] [Eek!] [Cry] [Angst]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
PJ, I'd like to request a sticky.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I always knew coral-ation==causation!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

We'll either have to sponge off the efforts of our friends and anemones or we will flounder because our technological richter mortis makes us too inflexible to change.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
The bush administration has been so shellfish regarding matters of phytoplankton that their approval ratings will hit the deck. Bush will be so battered someone will need to call a sturgeon.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] <groan>
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* I wish I was remotely clever.

I did think of the little plankton with the deep voice when I read this thread title though. I love that guy, he's the only funny thing about SpongeBob.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ain't puns a beach?
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
If these puns don't stop, we are going to have to take punitive measures against the pungent punsters.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Did you get tongue-tide saying that?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I finally got Noemon's <wave> one. LOL. I was about to use a "wave" pun and realized that I'd already been scooped. Sandbagged again!

[Wave]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Good buoy, Bob.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I brine good tidings, and throw reefs upon you all.

Life is a beach, and an ocean, basque in it.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I brine good tidings, and throw reefs upon you all.

Life is a beach, and an ocean, basque in it.

How can you be so anchored in optimism? The ebb and flow in our lives reveals one clammy pearl of truth: it's sink or swim, baby, sink or swim.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I think the way to fight those plankton is to pool our resources.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My dog wants to keep some as pets: fido's plankton
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
My dog wants to keep some as pets: fido's plankton
That one hurt my feelings.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.