FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laptop cleaning

Author Topic: Laptop cleaning
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Had my laptop for some time now, and it wants a good cleaning. What's the best way to clean the screen?

And is it possible to clean under the keys? I've got a couple of keys that are sticking but I dunno if I can pry things up they way I can a regular keyboard. Help?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Air can?

I'd be careful prying off keys. I've had a few pop off and since I've reattached them, they're slightly crooked and not very sturdy.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I couldn't get one of my keys back on (it was the Fn key anyway so I didn't care). Thankfully I sent the lappy in for service for something unrelated and they fixed that up also. I bought my father in law a can of those lcd screen cleaning wipes, works really well on their LCD monitor and new TV.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I clean my screen using a lint-free wipe dampened with water, when the computer is off. People I know have had success removing the keyboard keys to clean underneath, but I've never tried it.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Swiffer dust rags work marvelously on the screen.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
TheTick, what company manufactured your laptop? I have a Dell and they told me they could neither send me replacement keys or fix it during service. Now my 'v' key sticks quite a bit. It seems like such an easy thing, and yet, no.

Dell...never again.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a Compaq laptop and that thought occurred to me, too. With our old computers, it was no problem to replace the keyboard, and we did. (I have to admit, we do eat at the computer, and my husband smokes.)

So the first rule for the kids was, no eating at Mom's computer.

But I know something bad will probably happen someday ...

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Shanna, it's a Dell.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you don't mind voiding the warranty, Dell itself has an online guide to disassembling their laptops. This is the guide to the model I have now, and you should probably be able to find a similar guide for your model by either using their search function or Google.

I had an older Dell laptop that wasn't cooling properly, which was causing some serious performance issues, and the warranty had expired. So I used their guide to completely disassemble it. After I had it strewn all across the room I was finally able to remove the heat sink, reapply the thermal gel, seat it properly over the processor and reassemble it. It only took about an hour, and it works perfectly now.

If you're going to go that far, the only piece of advice I have for you is to be very anal about remembering which screw came from which hole. Other than that it shouldn't be too difficult.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Kensington seels a screen cleaner for laptops and LCDs. I've used it with a soft cloth, and it works well.

I have popped keys off a laptop keyboard, but it's trickier than a regular keyboard. I would not pop off the larger keys like the shift, enter, and space bar. If your laptop has a Trackpoint, you might want to stay away from popping those off, too. I broke my left shift when I popped it off to try fixing a weird keyboard issue; one of my coworker's is missing the H key, for similar reasons.

I sometimes "clean" standard keyboards by holding them upside down and shaking them, but I wouldn't do that with a laptop... more sensitive electronics. An air can would probably work well. I sometimes fold a bit of paper and run them under the keys to dislodge dust and crumbs... it's never hurt any machines I've done this on, but I'm not entirely certain it's the best thing for them, either, so take that one with a grain of salt.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go. Just find your model. I have a Dell, too. A desktop, though.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.