FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for medicos and people who know stuff about blood

Author Topic: Question for medicos and people who know stuff about blood
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if there is any difference in the accuracy of the Hemocue test v. hemocrit (done w/ a Hematostat)?

Would either test be affected by having drunk large volumes (in excess of a pint) of water about an hour beforehand?

And what are the relative scales for each? If I'm understanding correctly, the Hemocue uses a scale of g/dL, while the hematocrit looks at what percentage of the blood is made up of RBCs. Is that right? Is there some way to convert between the two scales? What are the ranges -- average, normal, mild anemia, severe anemia?

I went to give blood today at a different place than I usually do, and they use a different method than the place I usually go. I believe I would have qualified to give where I go normally (I've been sure to get plenty of iron from several sources in the past week+), but I was turned away by them.

This seems to indicate that water might be part of the issue w/ a Hemocue test. (They did retest with venous blood, but they used the SAME test on it!)

And this seems to indicate that the place I went has an unusually high cutoff -- 12.5, not 12.0. (Mine was 12.2.)

[ April 28, 2006, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, offhand I have no idea. I don't have much experience with using different tests, just how to interpret the ones from our lab. If nobody else can help you here, I'll start digging to find out what I can.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. [Smile] My problem is I know some of the correct terms, but not all -- sounds like you would have a related problem.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this description of how the hemocue works

quote:
The Hemocue system uses 10 ml of blood collected
into a special cuvette whose walls are lined with
the dry reagents. The reagents react spontaneously
with the blood sample resulting in erythrocyte membrane
disintegration allowing for Hb release. Methemoglobin
is formed by the conversion of iron from the
ferrous to the ferric state, which combines with azide
to form azide methemoglobin.14 Absorbance is read at
2 wavelengths as a means of controlling for sample
turbidity. The apparatus converts the readings into Hb
and displays the results digitally (g/dl).

My first impression is that mild over-hydration is no more likely to cause an error in this measurement than in a hemostat. I would be more concerned about erroneous reading from dehydration.

The hemocue is measuring hemoglobin concentrations where as a hemostat is measuring the volume of RBCs. When you suffer from iron deficiency anemia, you have both a lower number of RBC and less hemoglobin in each cell. It's possible that if you are on the border of being anemic, a measure of hemoglobin might be below the threshold before your hemotocrit drops below the threshold.

It's also noteworthy that the hemocue has to be regularly calibrated (unlike the hemostat). If the hemocue in question had not been calibrated recently it, the reading might have been off. I'd be curious to know if this center rejecting an unusual percent of donors that day.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.