FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cable TV and Internet

Author Topic: Cable TV and Internet
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm moving to a new apartment and I want to get internet access and cable without phone service. Does anyone have any suggestions? My main priority is to find something affordable, secondary is quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Service providers depend on where you live, but I think most cable providers offer bundled packages of Television and cable Internet.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
What Mighty Cow said - providers vary too greatly from area to area for anyone to be able to give you an accurate idea of which is "best."

My advice is this: contact every provider in your area that you would be willing to accept service from and get an estimate. Do not give them any of your personal information. Then, determine the best price and call back the provider that you would most like service from with the lowest quote you received and ask if they'll price match. Always ask if they can waive installation fees if you are knowledgable to do it yourself.

Ask if they have a satisfaction guarantee, and get the terms. Most companies will offer you a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on services. At 29 days, call the company back and explain that you are dissatisfied with your service and are considering switching to another provider. Every major company's CSRs are authorized to offer you several incentives to keep you as a customer before they even have to talk to a supervisor. This could result in an extension of a promotional deal or even a better deal outright for your service.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Just go for regular, not digital, cable. We get all but the premium channels for $1 a month more than cable internet alone because if you don't have cable, they charge you an extra $10 charge-- and basic, non-digital cable (79 channels, including Disney, Animal Planet, Nickelodeon, TNT, all the standard stuff) is $11 a month.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just go for regular, not digital, cable. We get all but the premium channels for $1 a month more than cable internet alone because if you don't have cable, they charge you an extra $10 charge-- and basic, non-digital cable (79 channels, including Disney, Animal Planet, Nickelodeon, TNT, all the standard stuff) is $11 a month.
Good Lord, cable here is $45.99/month for basic - and that's on the cheap side.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know! It makes no sense to me.

Of course, it may be priced lower here because there is ZERO tv reception. If you don't have cable or satellite, your tv is good for video games and DVD/video viewing only.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.