FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » advice about buying a domain name and staring a website

Author Topic: advice about buying a domain name and staring a website
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I've built a website before and would like to creat a site for my wrestling team but have no idea what is the best way to go about buying a domain name and finding a server and all that jazz. suggestions are very welcome.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now I have "All That Jazz" going through my head.

GoDaddy.com has domain names for cheap. But what you need to do is figure out what you need in terms of a site. Is it just going to be a handful of HTML pages? Are you going to automate it in any way? PHP, ASP, CGI, .NET, Linux, Apache... are you going to have a database backend? What kind of databases are you comfortable working with? MySQL, SQL Server, Access, etc.

It doesn't sound as though you need to worry about IMdb-size traffic, so you probably won't need a dedicated server. But you want to figure out about how much server space you're liable to want. If you've made any of the site on your home computer, you can take a look and see how much space you're using now, and add a bit on for an estimate.

Does that help?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I use doteasy.com.

If you just have a static HTML site, then you pay only for the registration of the domain name. If you want to use PHP and MySQL, you can get in for as cheap as 7.95 a month. You can also get 100 personal email addresses from them.

So far, I've had no sigificant downtime from them.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I use 1and1.com, and I have php and MySql for 3 bucks a month.

See ScottR's thread on starting a website for lots of good webdesign tips.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
"All that Jazz. All that Hollywood Jazz."

I actually liked a few songs on that album.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
www.icdsoft.com

I love them. It's $65/year (I believe) for the domain name and the maintenance of the site. It has most fancy-schmancy features (which I don't really use) and their customer service is *phenomenal* -- I'm talking a knowledgeable, usually problem-solving response electronically in under 5 minutes.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

ok, let me start over. I've built a very basic website before using front page. You all lost me before you even got started. I really don't want anything too fancy. just a place to put schedule, some pictures, a couple pages of information. The thought that got me started here was that I will be running a dodgeball tourney next year as a fund raiser and I want to put up flyers with the website for registration info. THis is going to be anything but profesional and I want it to be as simple to get up and running and to be able to update easily. Cheap is also good.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Great, now I have "All That Jazz" going through my head.

I was fine until you said something. [Grumble]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
doteasy.com is $25 per year for a site that will handle that.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix, are you sure you NEED your own site and/or domain name? For what you're describing, lots of free and/or ad-supported services would meet your needs considerably better; many would make it possible for you to submit events to a calendar programmatically, and provide actual functional registration options on your website instead of (at most) email referrals.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

No, of course don't need to have one. But I want to have one. I'm a control freak and have a very specific idea of what I want. This is for a high school wretling team so I'm not worried about the public knowing about it. I really am more concerned about having it to reference to people when giving information on our yearly tournament or fund raisers. It's for myself and my kids and their parents. It's something I will update fairly often so, yea... I want a site.

I liked what I saw at 1and1.com looked easy and cheap. I'm waiting to hear from the school district to know if I can go ahead with it or not. I'll keep you all informed. thanks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.